Sheriff: Ohio man cleaning gun killed Amish girl

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
Oakarver

Sheriff: Ohio man cleaning gun killed Amish girl

Postby Oakarver » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:14 pm

Very sad story. Another example and reason to not to just be firing a gun randomly into the air.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_BUGGY_SHOOTING_DEATH?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2011-12-20-17-50-11

FREDERICKSBURG, Ohio (AP) -- A man cleaning his muzzle-loading rifle shot the gun into the air, accidentally killing a 15-year-old Amish girl driving a horse-drawn buggy more than a mile away, a sheriff said Tuesday.

Rachel Yoder was shot in the head Thursday night while traveling to her home in Wayne County, between Columbus and Akron. She had attended a Christmas party for employees, most of them under 18 years old, at an Amish produce farm and was riding home alone when she was shot, Wayne County sheriff's Capt. Douglas Hunter said.

The horse continued to cart the girl after she was shot, and she fell out of the buggy near her home, Holmes County Sheriff Timothy Zimmerly said. Her brother found her after he saw the horse walking in circles and went to check it. Authorities initially believed she had fallen out of the buggy and hit her head until a hospital test revealed the gunshot wound.

Hunter said his department traced a trail of blood along the road for about three-eighths of a mile into Holmes County in an area of farms and rolling hills.

Zimmerly said the gun-cleaner's family came forward and his neighbors reported hearing a shot at about the time the girl was wounded.

The man had fired the gun in the air about 1.5 miles from where Yoder was shot, Zimmerly said. State investigators were checking the rifle for a ballistics match, he said.

"In all probability, it looks like an accidental shooting," Zimmerly said.

No charges have been filed.

Yoder was born in nearby Mount Eaton and attended the Old Order Amish Church, The (Wooster) Daily Record reported. She is survived by her father, 10 brothers and sisters, 26 nieces and nephews and two grandparents.

Hunter said earlier there was no indication the shooting was related to a rash of beard-cutting attacks against Amish men in a feud over church discipline.

Still, the mystery of the shooting in the wake of the beard-cutting attacks had left the Amish shaken and "on pins and needles," Zimmerly said.

Zimmerly said he informed the Yoder family that the shooting appeared to be accidental.

"Obviously, that makes them feel a lot better than if someone might have been targeting the Amish or (if it was) a random shooting murder," he said.

Gun violence in Amish communities is rare but not unheard of. A man shot 10 schoolgirls, killing five, inside a one-room schoolhouse five years ago in Nickel Mines, Pa. The Amish were praised for their forgiveness after the shooting and reaching out to comfort the gunman's widow.

Woods Walker

Re: Sheriff: Ohio man cleaning gun killed Amish girl

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:48 pm

How tragic! I will pray for BOTH or them. You know what the odds of this are? Incomphrehensible.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

bobow

Postby bobow » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:39 am

So tragic indeed for both families. Prayers to the families involved.

Yes the odds are astronomical for that to happen but I think it happens more than we care to know.
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member: NRA, ISRA; Member CCRA

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:30 am

That's just awful to hear. Very sad for all involved.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:47 am

I never got into front stuffers for deer hunting. I was about to a decade or so ago, because back the the accuracy of a muzzle loader was light years ahead of a shotgun (Illinois is a shotgun only state)....but you only had one shot. That was about the time that rifled barrels and the sabot ammo started coming out, and soon I had a shotgun that was more than accurate for 95% of all deer hunting I would do with an extremely DEADLY sabot (Winchester Supreme Partition Golds), PLUS I also had 3 shots.

My question then is to you muzzle loader guys. I know that you have to remove the slug/powder/wadding from the barrle after a hunt, and the only way to do that is to fire it. What is the proper way to discharge, into the ground? I ask this because hopefully some will learn from this awful event.
Last edited by Woods Walker on Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

MSHunter

Postby MSHunter » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:03 am

With my muzzleloader(s), I discharge by firing into the ground.

What a sad series of events. As hunters and gun owners, we're taught to know what we are shooting at and identify the target. We are also taught that we are liable for anything the bullet does once it leaves the end of the barrel.
"This is the world we are born into -- we should never let that slip away from us. May it never cease to stimulate, inspire and humble us." from Stalking & Still-Hunting: The Ground Hunter's Bible by G. Fred Asbell

jdbell91

Postby jdbell91 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:49 pm

This is a horrible story. I can't imagine what the girl's family or the hunter's family are going through.

I have only been using a muzzle loader for two years, but I always discharge it into the ground or a tree. As stated, know your target and what is behind it.
Semper Fi,

Joe

gonehun10

Postby gonehun10 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:36 pm

What I want to know is...how did they find the guy who discharched the fire arm when it was a mile and a half away?

kellory

Postby kellory » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:00 pm

gonehun10 wrote:What I want to know is...how did they find the guy who discharched the fire arm when it was a mile and a half away?

They detailed that in the story, but basicly they trailed her blood to the point of impact, and approached the only buildings in sight. The family came forward to admit to the discharge into the air, and the neighbor confirmed he heard 1 shot at the approxamate time of her death. Testing will confirm or rule out the weapon. He could not have made that shot if he had tried on purpose, too many variables. :(
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:14 pm

That poor girl had a better chance of winning the lotto than being hit with that bullet. Think about it. She was in a vehicle that was MOVING, and being pulled by a horse to boot! If that horse had altered his motion to pass gas, it would have changed the outcome.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

Next

Return to Off Topic