Do you?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Bukmastr

Do you?

Postby Bukmastr » Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:55 am

When I was a boy, I remember my Dad walking in the woods with me and stopping to pick up candy wrappers and soda cans left by others. He was a man of few words and lead more by example than words. He did not say anything about the people who left the occasional piece of garbage, and neither did I. Although no words were spoken, it had an impact on me as a kid that regardless of who threw it there or whether or whether not it was accidently dropped, it was all of our responsability to keep the woods clean.

Now, many years later, I still try to leave the woods a better place when I leave, than when I entered... This goes much farther than garbage too... I don't cut down shooting highways, I don't target practice on signs, or non-game animals... I simply apreciate the woods and its animals, and try to lead by example...

How about you?
Dan Infalt
Big buck serial killer
http://www.huntingbeast.com

w4sar

Re: Do you?

Postby w4sar » Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:35 am

I'm with you, even on public land my game pockets would be used to pick any trash I found as well. Now I hunt with the gracious permission of two landowners on adjacent pieces of private land, one of my acts of appreciation is to pick up any trash dumped or blown in along the roadside. I pick up my cartridge casings and whenever I use flagging tape as a marker for tracking, it is removed after the purpose is fulfilled.

One reason I love hunting is to see natural beauty, and any kind of trash is a personal affront to me.
David J. Snyder
Orange County, NC

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:54 am

No, my father used to empty his ash tray out the window of his car. My uncle Ed, who lived upstairs and was a hunter/fisherman, taught me about being a responsible person and a stewart of the outdoors. I remember the motto of leaving things cleaner than they were before you got there. I would think that we all are of that thinking.
How could you truly love the outdoors and then turn around and throw trash on the ground. Don't get me started on fisherman.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

kellory

Postby kellory » Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:07 am

Bukmastr wrote:When I was a boy, I remember my Dad walking in the woods with me and stopping to pick up candy wrappers and soda cans left by others. He was a man of few words and lead more by example than words. He did not say anything about the people who left the occasional piece of garbage, and neither did I. Although no words were spoken, it had an impact on me as a kid that regardless of who threw it there or whether or whether not it was accidently dropped, it was all of our responsability to keep the woods clean.

Now, many years later, I still try to leave the woods a better place when I leave, than when I entered... This goes much farther than garbage too... I don't cut down shooting highways, I don't target practice on signs, or non-game animals... I simply apreciate the woods and its animals, and try to lead by example...

How about you?

I carry a kitchen trash bag in my pack so I don't polute my pack, and yes, I clean up as I leave. That is something learned in the Boy Scouts. I pay strick attention to shot shell casing, as they tell a story. I can tell from them what has been hunted here and there, squirrels? small game? DEER SLUGS! Lots of deer slugs, old and new (hot spot) Trash, but no shells? (dead apot) Besides cleaning up the trash because it is right to do so, why leave these clues for someone else to find? Deer aren't the only ones who leave a trail in the woods. :mrgreen:
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:42 am

Your father was a wise man. You were lucky to have him. Actions speak louder than words, and the best lessons are those taught by example. My father was an honest man. He didn't have to say it, and no one had to tell me. He lived it. Same with my mother. She was a God fearing woman who did NOT preach. Again like my father she lived her faith and she instilled it into her sons on that basis.

As far as the littering question, I think of the woods as my home, everybit as much as my house, and treat it as such.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:08 pm

I have cleaned up after others in the woods. Pretty disgusting how humans can just not care about leaving trash in the woods. I hunted land once where some moron used to burn tires and car batteries frequently. He got caught and was fined heavily. I don't bring anything into the woods that can be deemed trash after use. Like cans of pop, bottles. Nothing. I dont even eat in the woods.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

kellory

Postby kellory » Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:59 pm

backpacker's creed "take nothing but photos, leave nothing but footprints." :mrgreen:
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

shaman

Postby shaman » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:00 am

I guess I'm just a contrary cuss, but there is something both luxurious and sentimental to going out and littering on your own property. On the one hand, I can leave a shotgun shell hull in one of my turkey blinds and come back 5 years later and find it untouched. On the other, it's great to be out wandering with the kid about the property and finding a wrapper, realizing we ate a snack at that spot back when he was 4.

Of course, I don't litter on other folks' places, but on mine? Yes. In fact we even have the luxury of our very own dump. The previous owners used to pile all their old stuff in this one sink hole on the property. We do the same. Most of the trash we burn, but cans and so on get carted out to the garbage pit after they have spent about 6 months in the burn barrel. Big stuff like old appliances go out there as well.

The topper is what we do with our bathroom waste. When we bought the place I was wondering where the sewage went. I did not see a septic tank or cess pool anywhere. We were too far out for sanitary sewers. I asked the real estate agent. She said I should look for a pipe out back of the house. Sure enough! About 20 yard in back of the house was a poop pipe emptying into the cow pasture. One of the first things I did was connect 100 feet of corrugated pipe onto the end and send it out further into the pasture. About once a season or so, I move the end of the pipe to another spot on the hillside. It has an added benefit: when we're really bored, we can flush the toilet and watch the dogs chase the sound down the pipe. Ah! Life's simple pleasures!
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:18 pm

"It has an added benefit: when we're really bored, we can flush the toilet and watch the dogs chase the sound down the pipe. Ah! Life's simple pleasures!"

To this I can only add Jeff Foxworthy's all time famous catch phrase......"YOU MIGHT BE A REDNECK!" :lol:

Oh...and shaman, you owe me a damned keyboard for the one that just shorted out when I snorked coffee all over it when I read your post!!!! :o
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

jonny5buck

Postby jonny5buck » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:47 am

Ohio farms wrote:No, my father used to empty his ash tray out the window of his car. My uncle Ed, who lived upstairs and was a hunter/fisherman, taught me about being a responsible person and a stewart of the outdoors. I remember the motto of leaving things cleaner than they were before you got there. I would think that we all are of that thinking.
How could you truly love the outdoors and then turn around and throw trash on the ground. Don't get me started on fisherman.

Im in close to the same boat...minus the uncle part...

I remember dad telling us to sink our pop cans when we were young...maybe 10 12 yrs old....he had us believing we were doing good because they made ''crayfish homes''......as i grew up... i realized that those cans are prob. still there....aluminum doesn't rust and the crayfish had homes before we got there!!!....i have laso chewed him a new one when i seen a pair of those orange gutting gloves by where he hunts...no excuse for that.....i either put them in the chest cavity of the deer i get ......[never had them''fall out''] ever...or i take ziploc with wipes in it after gutting i throw the gloves in there and place in my waist pouch....

I really hate littering...99% it is simply laziness or habit...i hear ya on the fisherman ..Ohio farms....i have picked up countless empty styrofoam worm containers and ...i have always put my line i cut in MY POCKET.....thank goodness for good examples of outdoors people....i try to pay it forward also...it's worse when its a state park with garbage cans.......i do believe in the motto...'''take only memories.....leave only footprints''....this is a great thread....a large part of being an ''outdoorsman...or outdoors''women''....is packing out what we take in....Peace!

Next

Return to General Discussions