Illinois Hunting Journal 2011

jonny5buck

Re: Illinois Hunting Journal 2011

Postby jonny5buck » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:17 pm

Got a few more hunts in...one trip was cut short as i was called into work...

A few sets on a good chunk of property i hunt has had almost no deer sighted ....where they have gone is a mystery....the gun season has them on high alert..big time..

One hunt yesterday in the climber stand had me walking a mile to the edge of some indian grass and point that jutted onto an oak flat....i had a 4pt buck walk right to me and turn away and walk behind me down the valley and watched him urinate in a scrape...i wouldnt have shot him as i am waiting for a chance at a larger more mature buck now...still waiting..

bobow

Postby bobow » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:38 pm

jonny5buck wrote:i wouldnt have shot him as i am waiting for a chance at a larger more mature buck now...still waiting..

Good luck!!
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member: NRA, ISRA; Member CCRA

jonny5buck

Postby jonny5buck » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:28 am

Hoping to get out this afternoon....drizzle and overcast ....hung a stand on thursday and havent got a chance to sit in it.....this one is in big boys back yard...all he needs to do is make one mistake...all i need to do is ...to do everything perfect--- :lol: sleep now hunt later....hope everyones season is going good.....those days in the stand are priceless....deer or not!

4khorn

Postby 4khorn » Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:50 pm

I sure have been MIA on here lately. Mostly due to an extremely frustrating season. However, on thursday (12/22) it finally culminated in some success. A week after I had a doe duck an arrow I found myself back in the same stand. I had almost given up hope when I noticed a doe sneaking around to my right. I was able to get my bow and draw back undetected and stopped her in an opening 20 yds away. The shot was true and she went down after an 80 yd run. So glad to get some meat for the freezer and wrap you my season up on a positive note. Hope everyone else enjoys the rest of the season.
Doe 2 12-22-11 DDH.JPG
12/22 Doe
Doe 2 12-22-11 DDH.JPG (106.65 KiB) Viewed 1090 times
My pursuit of a buck of a lifetime is much like the Chicago Cubs pursuit of a World Series...the season ends with a "wait til next year"

Luke

bobow

Postby bobow » Sun Dec 25, 2011 4:13 pm

Congrats 4khorn! It is good to hear of your success
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member: NRA, ISRA; Member CCRA

jonny5buck

Postby jonny5buck » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:49 am

Congrats -4khorn.....nice doe way to stick with it!

jonny5buck

Postby jonny5buck » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:07 pm

I did get out yesterday Dec-28th-2011.....i took the climber for an afternoon hunt...hunted the low side of an oak ridge...had 2 does come in early...abot 3:40pm...they were a good 75 yds away and became startled and ran my way....i opted to watch and was in awe at the amount of time they stood motionless watching over the ridge towards the roadway......20 minutes later 7 deer came from the south...they hooked around behind me from a different direction and ''of course'' came directly behind me....i watched them feeding for a good ten minutes...2 big does... the rest were fawns....they finally left to the west and headed north to a field...

Starting to see more deer..i went out this afternoon and seen 3 deer on a different property.....i only bow-hunt and hate wearing the blaze orange,but had to this afternoon as late season ,and cwd season has started.....i have some missed opt. from my earlier yrs deer hunting....i never realized that you can hunt the mz. ..and late season..... with bow... as long as you have the 400 sq. inches of orange on !...Now that i hunt a few private properties i get out as much as i can...during those seasons...there is a few parks that allow bow during the gun seasons....this yr i have hunted closer to home....season is winding down....still like my time on the stand...peace-JON~

jonny5buck

Postby jonny5buck » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:25 pm

Well This past friday was interesting..............Friday -JAN-6th-2012..............

My good buddy Jeremy came down to hunt in the morning and an afternoon hunt...he was looking for meat so if it was brown..it was going down..

I set him up on the 6acre spread.....24 ft on a big double black locust tree...

Across the ridge i was on an Elm that only allowed me to get up 19 ft....i would have prefered a little higher but the wind was in my favor....both of us were in the stands and quiet.......

7;30 AM-i was standing in the climber and was watching grey squirrels in about every direction.....i heard that tell tale swish, swish , of leaves ...something sounded different like a deer...for some unknown reason[ :? ]...i turned way too fast to look to my right...and was busted by a nice buck...a perfect 8pt...somewhere between 140- 150...for those of you that measure...

I was dejected...didnt bring a grunt tube...or anything...for that hunt...except my bow...tags and a knife ....what a morning...i blew it completely...it wasn't even laughable....i didnt let it ruin my next hunt...which had us both :seeing... 0 deer ...for the evening hunt...at a different property ....on an oak ridge...no deer!

Today--JAN-9th-2012 I watched 5 does come out and feed on the green, mossy stuff ,in the cut, bean field....they headed a different direction...than .....i watched buck after buck come out...20 minutes later...2 small basket racks.....than a bigger buck a 2yr old with a twin ...with a slightly bigger rack...both were 8s or 10pts...than a real nice 12 point buck with a tall tight rack came out....they seen the does and left .......after i watched with my binoculars ,for a good half hour...they also left a different direction.....it has been a long long ,,long ,..time since i have seen 4-5bucks together...it was awesome !!!.....hope to maybe fill that tag...still plugging away...JON~

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:06 pm

Git 'er done Jon!!
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

kellory

Postby kellory » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:15 pm

I don't suppose you took any pics? I would have loved to have seen that.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

PreviousNext

Return to Illinois