Crossbow Hunting Broadheads

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
hunter480

Crossbow Hunting Broadheads

Postby hunter480 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:53 pm

I just recently got a Crossbow, and am just about to go hunting with it. Indiana`s late archery season doesn`t end until 30 minutes past sunset this Sunday, January 1. This season, crossbows are legal for all hunters during the late archery season, and I`m looking forward to seeing how it does. The research I`ve done on hunting broadheads has been limited to what I could find online, on various vendors sites, and a few hunting forums. Due to that limited research, I`ve settled on the New Archery Products Spitfire 100 grain mechanicals.

I shoot Muzzy 3-blade 100 grain broadheads on my compound bow, but heard due to the potentially faster speeds acheived by the crossbows, the mechanicals were more stable in flight.

Has anyone here had any experience with the NAP Spitfire 100 grain broadheads with a crossbow? I couldn`t find anyone who commented that they had any issues with this broadhead opening prematurely out of their crossbow, in the research I did. I was hoping possibly someone here had some experience with these out of their crossbow.
Greg Russell

The Second Amendment, America`s Original Homeland Security

kellory

Re: Crossbow Hunting Broadheads

Postby kellory » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:12 pm

I also use a crossbow, and I have about a dozen different kinds of broadheads. 3 or 4 of each kind to try them out, or as a loaner set to another hunter (my son, my neighbor, ect) but for my bow and my crossbow I settled on Silver Strikes mechanicals. You will get a clean passthrough, or you hit bone. They fly like field points, they open on impact just fine, and they are 1/3 the cost of Rage. Like any mechanical, check them before you hunt, lube the pivots, sharpen the blades as needed. Each blade is replacable and they come with spare parts. I have used the same dozen heads for about 6 years now. I lost one head to a tree, and 3 to a neighbor hunter. I have no complaints.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:15 pm

Just curious. What make of crossbow and what poundage? I don't know anything about NAP broadheads, but looking at their broadheads my choice would be the Spitfire Maxx. A cutting tip is what I prefer. Just my opinion.
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:15 am

I agree that, at least on my Horton, that expandables seem to fly best on crossbows. As Charlie said, a cutting tip seems to work best. I use rage two blades, but there are many good broadheads to choose from. Some even include a practice head. Good luck.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Bowriter

Postby Bowriter » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:32 am

Probably your Muzzys will work just fine. I shoot the 100-grain NAP mechanicals and like them but I also have some Muzzy 100's and they shoot just fine.

sanyitos

Postby sanyitos » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:50 am

Many traditional archers favor broadheads with fixed blades, which are considered to offer the best wound penetration and cleanest blood trails. Fixed blade models are permanently set in the open position, and most are designed to cut on impact.

international bowhunters
archery strength equipment

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:03 am

I've been using G5 Striker 100 grain fixed 3 blade broadheads with great success. They fly great and do the job as long as your shot placement is right.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Return to Archery and Bowhunting