OLD DOG NEW TRICK

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
ripper7

OLD DOG NEW TRICK

Postby ripper7 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:10 am

WHAT IS ONE THING THAT YOU LEARNED THIS SEASON THAT YOU WANT TO ADD TO YOUR BAG OF TRICKS . AS FOR ME A TREE STAND UMBRELLA ON A RAINY DAY DOES WORK AND CERTAINLY TAKES THE EDGE OFF THE UNPLEASANTNESS OF A DAMP DAY.

charlie 01

Re: OLD DOG NEW TRICK

Postby charlie 01 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:02 pm

I don't have anything new to add, but the umbrella is a good thing. If it looks like it could, I carry my small fold up. It has saved the day a few times when those sudden come and go down pours erupted.
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:04 am

The first two days of Ohio's gun season called for pouring rain. My nephew had bought an umbrella that attached to your tree at Gander, but now they were out of them. At that point I had remembered that I had a golf umbrella that was brown and green, so I figured out a bracket that would hold it over my head. It not only kept me dry, but also my gun and pack. It was great. I should have thought of that 20 years ago. Duh.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:53 am

Umbrellas were an important part of my treestand hunting gear. I used one that was camo, and it also had a cutout on one side so that it would fit snugly around the tree, then it had ties so that you could close any gaps. Back in those days for firearm hunting we'd stay out all day, rain or shine (in Illinois the first gun season was only 3 days, the second 4, so you didn't want to waste a single minute) and the umbrella made that possible.

What was actually harder to do was going to the stand in the dark and in the rain. The you had to get set up before you climbed into the tree. That was no fun. But once you got there, it was almost pleasant being under the cover of the umbrella. NOTHING is worse than being in a tree and having water dripping on to your head, or worse yet, down your neck!

The only time there was a problem, is if there were strong winds with the rain.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:03 am

Exactly Woods. There is only ONE opening day for gun. Day two is not nearly as good. I was sitting in the rain and I was dry...I was euphoric. My brother on the other hand was soaked. It was like we had hunted on different planets that day.

**By the way, the new Confirmation Codes are great to use.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:24 am

One day exactly! I'll tell you what else you shouldn't do....especially if you're over 40....don't ever do a guesstimate of how many hunting years you think you have left, and then figure how that translates into opening days. You'll want to cry! On the other hand, it'll make you appreciate the ones you do have even more!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:51 am

I just did the math...rats.

SwampLife

Postby SwampLife » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:55 am

I learned to never stop learning.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.

avluey

Postby avluey » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:57 pm

Woods Walker wrote:One day exactly! I'll tell you what else you shouldn't do....especially if you're over 40....don't ever do a guesstimate of how many hunting years you think you have left, and then figure how that translates into opening days. You'll want to cry! On the other hand, it'll make you appreciate the ones you do have even more!

Did that this year in my mid 30's...really bummed me out. Then I think about all those years when I had been interested in hunting but never actually went out and did it - what a waste!

kellory

Postby kellory » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:57 pm

Woodsie, I am not gonna let it bother me, because they will most likely bury me in Camo, with a head stone in my favorite stand.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Next

Return to Best Practices