Gun trade

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
Mab867

Gun trade

Postby Mab867 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:19 pm

Alright all you gun enthusiasts, I need some help. I have a Winchester .22 mag model 9422m lever action rifle. My neighbor/friend wants it. I told him today that I might trade if he can get a Marlin 30-30. That was before I started looking up prices for each gun. From what I can see, my gun is worth about $200 more than a Marlin 30-30 would cost. Not sure if that is a really good trade. I don't want to be on the losing end of a bad trade. Not saying the neighbor/friend would do this to me purposefully. But, I thought I would jump on here and ask all you good folk what you thought. I really don't need the .22 mag and I would really like to have a decent 30-30 for deer hunting. All I have ever used is a 12 gauge shotgun. Thanks for all the help and advice.

Dan Salmon

Re: Gun trade

Postby Dan Salmon » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:52 pm

If I wasn't using the .22 Mag and I'd use the .30-30 more, that I'd make the trade regardless of the value of the guns involved. Why warehouse guns that aren't utilized? If you are both happy in the end, then I'd say the trade was a good one in the end.

kellory

Postby kellory » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:24 pm

The neighbor does not yet have the exchange rifle for the swap, are you set on the 30-30? If it was me, I have always wanted a lever action winchester 74. But with the guns you have listed, I would agree, the value doesn't matter as long as both parties are happy with the swap.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

shaman

Postby shaman » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:31 pm

I am not a big fan of 22 MAG but there are fellows that really like it. 22 MAG is expensive to shoot, and it is hard to come by consistently accurate ammo-- it's the nature of rimfire. If I needed something of that ilk, I'd go for a .223 REM-- more bang for the buck.

The Marlin 30/30 has a lot more utility in my book, but collectors are collectors and they have their own way of looking at things. The problem with gun values is trying to get book value out of a gun. Most private trades are done well below book value and if you take it to a gun shop, you certainly won't get book value.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Return to Guns and Ammo