Corkscrew w/ Practice Broadheads

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
marshall9779

RE: Corkscrew w/ Practice Broadheads

Postby marshall9779 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:23 am

ORIGINAL: howhill1

im agreement with mag. i think your problem is in the arrow itself. i dont think helical fletching would cause it though. i shot 4" right helical feathers through a whisker biscuit for a few yeaers with no problems.
  i assumig now that youve changed nothing from last year.

Changed nothing from last year. I shoot 3" straight feathers.

mag30079

Postby mag30079 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:31 am

Have you shot the same arrow with a field point then unscewed it and screwed in the montec broadhead? What happened? Did the field point fly perfect, and the broadhead wobbled? If so make sure its screwed in straight and tight. Does your broadheads have washers? Some broadheads are radiused, where they meet the arrow insert and must have the washer to sit flush. Your arrows to me seem light for 60#. The 4" feathers may be the fix. Go see Ross and have him fletch one or two arrows with the 4" inch feathers and let us know. Also you may want to crest the arrow just to add a little weight to help steer the arrow. Kinetic energy is more important them speed. Speed is good and all but penatration puts the animal down.

Good luck and good shooting

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:06 pm

too much speed can toss traditinal broadhed flight out the window as well. but i dont think your rig is delivering that much. i agree with trying some large fletchings. i would try a small bit of helical on em to.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

mag30079

Postby mag30079 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:49 pm

howhill1 thats cool you can shoot helicals through a biscuit. I never tryed it and was told it wouldn't work. Now I want to fletch a few up.
One more question, I'm a right hand shooter, is the rule right hand shooter left wing feathers or...???
I've never been able to get an answer to this question. I was told since I shoot a coumpound bow it doesn't matter.

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:55 pm

i was always told left helical for right hand and vice versa. but ive shot both and feel this to be an old wives tale.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

marshall9779

Postby marshall9779 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:01 am

ORIGINAL: mag30079

Have you shot the same arrow with a field point then unscewed it and screwed in the montec broadhead? What happened? Did the field point fly perfect, and the broadhead wobbled? If so make sure its screwed in straight and tight. Does your broadheads have washers? Some broadheads are radiused, where they meet the arrow insert and must have the washer to sit flush. Your arrows to me seem light for 60#. The 4" feathers may be the fix. Go see Ross and have him fletch one or two arrows with the 4" inch feathers and let us know. Also you may want to crest the arrow just to add a little weight to help steer the arrow. Kinetic energy is more important them speed. Speed is good and all but penatration puts the animal down.

Good luck and good shooting

The same arrows with field points fly perfect and are damn accurate for me. I think I will get some washers. Other than having them seated right, they might help me get the broadhead blades ligned up with the fletches. I heard that this could help. Hopefully the Hanna will be out of here and not too wet to go shoot some tomorrow.

marshall9779

Postby marshall9779 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:07 am

I think next year I am going to switch to some of the Carbon Express arrows that have the weight forward design. With a 100gr broadhead, the center of weight is barely forward of the center of the arrow with the Bemans.

mag30079

Postby mag30079 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:21 am

CX make nice stuff. I bought the maxima hunter 350 with blazers last year the FOC does help. I have broke a few thats my only complaint.

marshall9779

Postby marshall9779 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:55 am

I found a couple wahsers stuck on a couple broadheads that each killed a deer for me. I put those on a couple arrows and got the blades of the broadheads lined up with the fletches and that seemed to make a difference. One arrow still wanted to go in at a slight angle, but I noticed it had a pretty large bad of cement behind one of the fletches. Maybe that is what is throwing it off some. Gotta get it scraped off.

mag30079

Postby mag30079 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:09 am

Great new marshall9779

PreviousNext

Return to Archery and Bowhunting