What bargain did you spot today?

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
kellory

Re: What bargain did you spot today?

Postby kellory » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:11 pm

Gander Mountian has hang on stands and ladder stands at %30 off now, but deeper discounts will follow a bit later. They are in the $40-$50 doller range now. EDIT: followed up with Dick"s sporting (once they finally picked up the phone) They have a strap on fixed stand, by comfort zone for $35, and a 15' ladder stand for $50. both are steel. Hang on wieghts 17lbs. These are both on clearance right now. They had about a dozen of each that I saw when I stopped in for prices.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:09 am

Yesterday I picked up two 16 foot two man ladder stands at Rural King for $71.99 each. These are marketed by Sniper Tree Stands as the Spotter XT although they look identical to the 2 man Remington Stands that WalMart sold the past few years. I'm sure they're all made by Tahsin Industries in China, but I've had no problems at all with the 4 Tahsin stands that I already have. I hope to replace all six of my remaining wooden platform stands with two man ladder stands. My hunting partner now has two grandchildren hunting, so the double stands are perfect for mentoring the youth plus have plenty of room for us old farts that carry enough junk to stay out all week. I've been trying to replace two per year as wind and weather dictate which of the wooden stands moves to the top of the replacement list. Sniper's website shows retail on these stands at $168.99 although Rural King's regular price was $119.99. I'm thinkin' maybe I should go pick up a couple more at this price and stack em up in the barn until needed. They also sell replacement parts through the Sniper website. Of course those prices are rather steep,(if I built the same stand using their replacement parts, it would cost $506.00 for the stand), but it's nice to know that I could get a part to repair a stand if I really needed one.

kellory

Postby kellory » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:30 pm

Wanderer wrote:Yesterday I picked up two 16 foot two man ladder stands at Rural King for $71.99 each. These are marketed by Sniper Tree Stands as the Spotter XT although they look identical to the 2 man Remington Stands that WalMart sold the past few years. I'm sure they're all made by Tahsin Industries in China, but I've had no problems at all with the 4 Tahsin stands that I already have. I hope to replace all six of my remaining wooden platform stands with two man ladder stands. My hunting partner now has two grandchildren hunting, so the double stands are perfect for mentoring the youth plus have plenty of room for us old farts that carry enough junk to stay out all week. I've been trying to replace two per year as wind and weather dictate which of the wooden stands moves to the top of the replacement list. Sniper's website shows retail on these stands at $168.99 although Rural King's regular price was $119.99. I'm thinkin' maybe I should go pick up a couple more at this price and stack em up in the barn until needed. They also sell replacement parts through the Sniper website. Of course those prices are rather steep,(if I built the same stand using their replacement parts, it would cost $506.00 for the stand), but it's nice to know that I could get a part to repair a stand if I really needed one.

Then would not the next logical step to buy (1) extra stand for spare parts? And save the cost of those exspensive repair parts? ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Sopchoppy

Re: RE: What bargain did you spot today?

Postby Sopchoppy » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:04 am

msbadger wrote:Went to the local Walmart clearance isle and they had hunting stuff on sale...got 56 oz of Scent Away....2 spray bottles and a refill for $7.00

Wally world here has most of the hunting stuff marked down, getting pretty well picked over, but still lots of small stuff and a few stands at cheap prices. I'm trying to stay out of there!!!

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:23 am

kellory,
I tried buying a spare stand for parts last year. Then I found a creek crossing that looked like a good ambush point. Now my spare parts have become just another hunting location. So far the stands that I have out year round have suffered nothing more serious than squirrels nibbling on seat cushions and/or seat backs. My concern for parts is more centered around what to do if a tree or large branch falls and bends/breaks part of then frame itself. If that occurs I'd probably take down the least productive stand and use it for spare parts.

kellory

Postby kellory » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:26 am

Wanderer wrote:kellory,
I tried buying a spare stand for parts last year. Then I found a creek crossing that looked like a good ambush point. Now my spare parts have become just another hunting location. So far the stands that I have out year round have suffered nothing more serious than squirrels nibbling on seat cushions and/or seat backs. My concern for parts is more centered around what to do if a tree or large branch falls and bends/breaks part of then frame itself. If that occurs I'd probably take down the least productive stand and use it for spare parts.

Sounds like exactly what I would have done. :lol:

Sopchoppy

Postby Sopchoppy » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:16 am

WGI W6 camo camera @ Amazon.com for $49.99, ends today. I know of a couple of guys who bought this camera and they are manufactured on or after 8/22/2011 which is the date the whiteout issue was fixed. Both say theirs is working good.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:57 am

Dang missed that one.
All they have right now is July 2011 6.0 mp for $49.99.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Sopchoppy

Postby Sopchoppy » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:51 pm

Sailfish wrote:Dang missed that one.
All they have right now is July 2011 6.0 mp for $49.99.

Curious as to how you determined the July 2011 model is all they have. I've talked on pm to a member who got his last week and it was made on August 10, and his buddy's on August 22. Seems they would ship older inventory first. I got shipping notice on mine last night, I'll post the manuf. date when I receive it. It was supposed to end yesterday but is still listed at $49.99.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:53 pm

It's hard to beat the rotisserie chicken at Sam's club for $4.99. Forgive me for straying off topic a bit.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic