"mountain bike"

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Sailfish

RE: "mountain bike"

Postby Sailfish » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:21 pm

Some of the grounds I am hunting here do not allow any type of vehicles at all (only on the w/e your allowed to hunt can you bring a truck). Before that, it's all bicycles or horses.
I have a MTN bike
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:33 pm

Great post! Ive had this idea many times, but I never went through with it.. As of now I take my ATV anywhere to hunt. Its not loud at all. I tore my ACL a few years ago in hockey and have  DR permit to ride the ATV anywhere on state land or anywhere in the woods to get to where Im going.Its really nice, because for those long walks they kill my knees. Makes more time for hunting as well..I cant see why this wouldnt work tho.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

dtrain56

Postby dtrain56 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:45 pm

I am going to this year I found a spot 2.5 miles away from any roads( there are bike trails and hiking trails all over but no motorized vehicels allowed) in the allegany national forest and the state or goverment has put in several bio logic fields also  there is a small apple orchard...

looks like big buck territory but very tough to get to unless you have a mountain bike

mag30079

Postby mag30079 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:28 am

Ok well how far do you leave the bike from your stand? I'm mostly hunt State land. I was thinking about hiding it under a tarp. Pros, cons
ideas???

vipermann7

Postby vipermann7 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:38 am

Tarp would be a good idea. I would just be sure to leave it down wind of the stand. Or you could just ride it to your stand and spray it down with some scent killer. I would think something like a bike, usually being mostly aluminum, wouldn't hold too much scent, and if you spray it down a little, that should help. Actually, to save on money spraying stuff down, you could just spray something like that down with water. That should wash off the strongest human scents. It works for our tree stands being left in the rain, should work fine for a bike. You also could just leave it down wind of your stand and chain it. It's always a good idea to chain something like that up on public land if you won't be immediately near it.

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:07 am

One time I used my Daughters Mountain Bike to get back to my trail camera to check it and switch SD card because I was going to be gone for a while and wanted to see what was on the card...it worked pretty good and was much more quiet than stomping/running back there on foot.For me its not applicable to use one all the time because of all my misc gear I take out with me over the hills and hollers and when I hit the woods I'm Stalking/Still Hunting from then on until I get to my stands.

If your going to try and hide/cover up your Bike the camo material with the leafy pattern would work great for doing that!I'm thinking Hunters Specialty,Mossy Oak makes the type camo I'm thinking of?Heck even the leafy camo strips that Ameristep makes would work very well too....you know the kind to use on your ladder stand steps to hide the ladder rails from view!

bckklr

Postby bckklr » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:50 am

buy a cheap bike paint it camo leave the tarp @ home sling the bike in a ditch or something trust me carry a small amount of extras just the essentials you get 5/6 miles back & you will regret half of what you brought especialy in turkey season when its 90 degrees place a small camo bag on it some place to hold orange bag for dead turkey or a pull strap to drag a deer & remember on a successful hunt you will have alot more to carry from the woods & when your legs burn like hell an hour in dont quit it will go away after a couple days
adapt & overcome

hoosierhuntercustomcalls.com

shaman

Postby shaman » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:43 am

Don't worry about doctoring the bike, hiding the bike, tarping the bike.  Just don't worry.

In 1991 and 1992 I arrowed bucks out of the same tree on the same day at nearly the same time, and both were taken less than 50 yards from my truck.

In 2001  my neighbor's lesees came and parked their truck within 50 yards of my stand and started popping caps on their ML'ders in my direction.  I came down and chased them, then went back out to hunt.  Within an hour I had a doe and a flock of turkeys under my stand.  Before I got down for good I'd had a nice buck come through.

If you have any scent concerns, park your bike a reasonable distance away from the stand and finish the trip on foot.

If you have any need to consider painting, think about Hunter Orange.    The last thing you want to be mistaken for is a running deer.  Additionally the last thing you want to lose is your bike.  It's kind of like a camo billfold, a camo compass, or a camo flashlight. Those are the last things that you want camo'd.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:06 am

Bicycles can be very helpful to use while deer hunting !

bckklr

Postby bckklr » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:16 am

nothin like road kill for supper
adapt & overcome

hoosierhuntercustomcalls.com

Previous

Return to General Discussions