NEW IN TOWN

SCHINK

NEW IN TOWN

Postby SCHINK » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:52 am

My brother and wife are being relocated to Michigan......KENT County area.........any good Deer hunting spots over there.......and how are the locals for giving permission to hunt private land.

Thanks
HAPPINESS IS A BLOODY TAILGATE

gregd548

Re: NEW IN TOWN

Postby gregd548 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:04 pm

Just moved here myself a while back and still haven't found a good area to hunt in Kent County. And the locals are not very accommodating in giving permission to hunt their land.

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:02 pm

Have you both looked at the DNR web site? They have an app on there called MIHUNT. You can find public land to hunt there..Its not private, but hey its still some land.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

s.bagby

Postby s.bagby » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:16 pm

If you knock on doors and are courteous you will eventually find land to hunt on. I don't though. I actually enjoy the challenge of hunting State Land.

The DNR "where can I hunt" web page. There are some options to hunt private lands listed. HAP (Hunter Access Program) & Commercial Forest Property are hunted less than the state game areas. Each has a link to specifics on the web page link below. MI HUNT is a good tool to find the little squares of state land that are not listed on the game area maps.

The Ruffle Grouse Society has several hundred acres of property south of Gun Lake listed in the Comercial Forest properties. I hunted it a few years ago and never ran into anyone. If your options leave you hunting state land I would encourage you to pick up Bow Hunting. The woods are much quieter during BOW season and it's warmer!!! Though last years Bow opener seemed busier than the Gun opener was

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-15 ... --,00.html

Return to Michigan