trail cam advice

hyguti

trail cam advice

Postby hyguti » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:10 pm

i am intrested in buying 2 or 3 trail cams but i really dont want to spend 200+ dollors cause im im still in school and cant afford it. i was woundering if their is a trail cam that takes good pics/video and tells you the time, date and is a not to expensive. would help for the info.

FFKEVIN

RE: trail cam advice

Postby FFKEVIN » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:49 pm

I know that Wildview makes a trail camera for around $80 (a hunting store by me seems to always have them on sale for $39.99) that takes photos & video.  But, you get what you pay for.  My buddy has one, and the photo quality isn't that great and it seems to be good out to only about 15 feet.

Or check eBay.  If you look long enough, you can find a good deal.  Maybe even on some used ones.

My suggestion would be, that you buy 1 nice camera, instead of 2 or 3 cheap cameras.  Then save up for another nice camera next year.  (Or ask for one for your birthday or the holidays!)
�Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.� - Ted Nugent

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:41 pm

I own a wildview and i really like it.  The only problem with it is the trigger speed but that is the problem with most cameras.  The range for mine is over 20 feet and past that it gets a little dark at night.  The picture is from a wildview and you can see that the quality is good.

Panman1949

Postby Panman1949 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:41 pm

I have 2 Moultrie 2.1 cams that I bought at Bass Pro for $70 each.  I am very happy with pic quality, somewhat happy with video (did not use on hi-res, should have), very happy with battery life (6v lantern), but time does skip from time to time.  Overall, not bad for the money.  Oh yeah, it does trigger a little slow.

HiddenHornsRanch

Postby HiddenHornsRanch » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:08 pm

Alright man..I know what your talking about because Im in college, but in high school I was wanting to buy cheaper cameras...and let me be the first to tell you its not worth buying the cheap ones. For one pics, battery life, quality sucks. I learned the hard way...save money and buy a Moultrie I-60 or I-40, even cuddeback (Your Choice), I have an infrared, cost me 300, but saving your money for a better little costier one is well worth it, compared to buyin one that is cheap...hope this helps, good luck...
KINGSVILLE A&M JAVELINA

vipermann7

Postby vipermann7 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:43 pm

i have two wildview cameras. one is an infared flash camera, got it on sale for 90 dollars. the other wildview cost me 60 dollars. i also bought a 3rd, but i dont use it. i found it at wal mart for 35 dollars. its the cheapest they make, its a .3 megapixel. the pictures were clear, but tiny format, hard to see them even on the computer. its the cheapest one wildview has, i wouldnt recommend that model. but any of the other ones are good, i like mine. i also have a moultrie 4.0, those are about 100 dollars. i would recommend the moultrie. many great features, takes great pictures, and isnt too terribly expensive.
as someone else said, you get what you pay for. dont go too cheap, youll just have to replace it. i started out with just one and then each year bought another one and now i have a couple. its worth it to limp along with one good one than to buy 3 cheap ones that never work. my moultrie camera is my favorite, i'll be buying more. but if thats a little hard on the wallet, the wildview have been reliable for me as well. ive bought cheaper ones, they worked a few weeks and then were garbage. rain ruins them easier, the flashes dont work, all kinds of issues i had with real cheap ones.

hyguti

Postby hyguti » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:53 am

yea im in high school everyone thanks for info i have like 500 dollars saved up from holidays and birthdays i guess from the info i got the cuddeback is worth the money or moultries trail cams. this chat helps alot more becuase if i bought a cheap one i guess i would have to learn the hard way.

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:37 pm

from all ive heard read and seen cuddeback is the way to go. ive been using some cheap wildviews and they serve my purpose . but their trigger speed is slow and they're short on bells and whistles. it all depends on what you expect to get from them.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

FFKEVIN

Postby FFKEVIN » Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:11 pm

I have 2 Moultrie M-40's.  I got them off eBay for $150 ea.  I love them. 

Heard good things about Cuddeback as well, but it seems they cost a little more.

There are really good reviews of every trail camera made on this site - http://www.chasingame.com

They also have a great section on tips and mistakes on using trail cameras.
�Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.� - Ted Nugent

Legnip

Postby Legnip » Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:59 am

ORIGINAL: hyguti

yea im in high school everyone thanks for info i have like 500 dollars saved up from holidays and birthdays i guess from the info i got the cuddeback is worth the money or moultries trail cams. this chat helps alot more becuase if i bought a cheap one i guess i would have to learn the hard way.

I don't know if you have seen them, but I have started to see CuddeBacks for $200 in some magazines lateley.
From those who much is given, much is expected

Return to Scouting Cameras