Piebald Buck

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
shaman

Piebald Buck

Postby shaman » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:21 am

I was driving home from my folk's house a few nights ago when I ran across a herd of doe crossing the road. I stopped and let them go. What came next was one of the neatest things I've seen in the neighborhood, a piebald buck. He wasn't all that big, but his rack sprouted at least 10 points-- maybe 12. He was completely unafraid of my car, and I was able to get the cellphone out for a photo. Sadly, there was not enough light.

Two nights ago I was coming home late from shopping, and went to back into my drive. The same buck was in my front yard and came around the back of the truck and stood next to my window for a bit. His white markings move up from his belly and cover a good deal of his rear legs and a fair part of his chest.

I hope I can find him during daylight and get a picture for y'all.

Back in 2004, we saw our first piebald doe in the neighborhood with twin piebald fawns. Since then, that doe and her offspring have infused the piebald trait into the local herd in a big way. In '06 there was a mother/daughter pair that favored a neighbor's flower bed for midday napping. This is the first mature buck we've seen with the trait.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

SwampLife

Re: Piebald Buck

Postby SwampLife » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:50 pm

Thats awesome. There used to be a lot of piebald's and a few albinos where I hunt in PA. My uncle ended up shooting one that was a button buck. Most beautiful cape on a deer you would ever see.

Two years ago driving back to FL from PA we hit the Virginias during prime-time and saw a big 10 point piebald stand up and work a licking branch about 6' off the ground. 40 yards off the highway. Will probably never see that again in my lifetime. Also saw a couple nice bucks fighting right on the shoulder of the road and saw over a hundred deer in that last hour of light.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.

bmstaaf

Postby bmstaaf » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:12 pm

They are neat, three years ago I had 1 in the scope but couldn't count points...found out later by camera he was a wide 9 pt...pretty neat, that's my 1 and only expierance..

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:37 am

You need to start carrying a camera with a flash. :)
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

spearfisher

Postby spearfisher » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:36 pm

Before bow season a buddy of mine got a trail pic of a doe with twins. One was normal, the other piebald. Post season I put out corn and a camera to see what survived. My "area" is near my buddies where the piebald was seen. I got a vid clip off the camera, midday, mama and the twins. The "normal" twin is a small button buck now. The piebald was in the clip but I couldn't see the head to tell if it was a button or not. Deer is solid white in the body but the neck and face are normally colored. Mama is normal looking too. Cool clip.

Return to General Discussions