Just Bought a New Savage Rifle...Have a problem

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
DairyLandDeerHunter

Just Bought a New Savage Rifle...Have a problem

Postby DairyLandDeerHunter » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:55 am

Hi guys, I just bought a new Savage 114 American Classic Stainless in .270 Winchester from Cabelas yesterday. I get home and insert the bolt into the gun and notice that it has a lot of wiggle room in the action and constantly hits the chamber wall when I go to close the bolt.

I cleaned the gun up and oiled it, and still about every other time I close the bolt it hits that chamber wall. I also dry fired it to make sure the firing pin was installed and after that, the bolt locked up and was very hard to open and extract.

Anybody have any experience with this? I'm going back to Cabelas today to see if they can fix it or get me a new gun. Any help you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated thank you!

shaman

Re: Just Bought a New Savage Rifle...Have a problem

Postby shaman » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:40 am

I just had KYHillChick's Savage apart over the weekend, and I cannot fathom how you would be having the problems you describe. There is something unsavory going on there, and I would march it right back to Cabela's. What ever you do, don't fire it.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

pgchambers

Postby pgchambers » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:53 am

Dairyland,
Please update us after you talk to Cabelas. I'm curious about both the nature of the problem with the gun and how they remedy your concerns.
Respect - don't take it, unless you are willing to give it.
Responsibility - don't give it, unless you are willing to take it.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:32 pm

Something is not right from the sound of things.

Cabelas has always been great with me, although they have a no return policy for firearms. If something is wrong with it I'm sure you will not have a problem.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

DairyLandDeerHunter

Postby DairyLandDeerHunter » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:47 pm

Hey guys,

Well I took the gun to Cabelas and had the gunsmith go through it. I should have thought of it before, but we looked at the bolt and it's serial number didn't match the last four numbers of the serial number of the rifle. So it ended up being the wrong bolt for the rifle.

They took the gun and gave me a new one, and sent the other one back to Savage. Problem solved.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:52 pm

Good ol' Cabelas.

Should have asked them for a gift card for your time, trouble and gas. :D
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

DairyLandDeerHunter

Postby DairyLandDeerHunter » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:56 pm

ranwin33 wrote:Good ol' Cabelas.

Should have asked them for a gift card for your time, trouble and gas. :D

Haha you're right, I should have.....Despite that setback, I'm happy with the gun. I researched it heavily and it received all positive reviews. I wanted to try a Savage and see what it is like and I'm hoping the 114 American Classic Stainless I bought in .270 Winchester doesn't disappoint.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:02 pm

I love the stainless on wood look.

I have a Savage 116 in 300 WSM, pre-Accutrigger topped with a Bushnell 3200 Elite scope. So long as I do my job, it will kill deer. And just about anything else I want to point it at.
Aldo Leopold

DairyLandDeerHunter

Postby DairyLandDeerHunter » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:09 pm

ranwin33 wrote:I love the stainless on wood look.

I have a Savage 116 in 300 WSM, pre-Accutrigger topped with a Bushnell 3200 Elite scope. So long as I do my job, it will kill deer. And just about anything else I want to point it at.

This is my first Savage, so I'm pretty excited to see what it can do. I used to shoot competitively and I'm pretty excited to see if it lives up to my expectations. But you are right, the stainless on wood look is beautiful and it is a stunning gun. The bolt design is definitely different from the Remington 700 that I'm used too; with the Savage having a locking lug and all. I'm excited to try it out.

pgchambers

Postby pgchambers » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:35 pm

Glad to see it all worked out. Can't say it occured to me to look at the serial numbers either, but it does seem like an obvious thing to check after the fact. Thanks for the update.
Respect - don't take it, unless you are willing to give it.
Responsibility - don't give it, unless you are willing to take it.

Next

Return to Guns and Ammo