Couple ?'s about bowhunting.

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
ScootD

Couple ?'s about bowhunting.

Postby ScootD » Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:27 pm

First question I have to ask is once my bow is sighted in for best results in shooting from a ladder stand that is close to 17 ft. high, do I need to shoot from the same height in order to get the best accuracy? The second question I have is should I increase my draw weight? I am pulling about 53 lbs. and was wondering if the draw length makes the big of a difference in getting a kill shot. From what I have read the draw weight is not that significant in getting a kill shot, if the shot is well placed. I should mention that I am new to bow hunting and don't want to much weight so I spook the deer when drawing in the field. If anyone has any answers to these questions they will be much appreciated.

Safe hunting and good luck to everyone in this years up and coming season.

Scott Davis

striker

RE: Couple ?'s about bowhunting.

Postby striker » Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:41 pm

Well I am by no means an expert but I will give you my 2 cents. As for your first question If you have the opportunity to practice from the height you will be hunting at I would suggest you do so at least occasionally. I try to practice in situations which reflect the hunting situation I will be in. I don't know if it will make you more accurate but it makes me more relaxed when a shot presents itself. As for your next question I don't think you need to increase your draw weight unless you are planning on shooting mechanical broad heads which I don't recommend. If anything will decrease your accuracy increasing the draw weight will. Your draw weight should be set that you do not strain when drawing back and you should be able to hold it at full draw for a minute or more without shaking all over the place. I recently reduced my draw weight from 70 down to 55 and my accuracy improved dramatically. Hope this helps and good luck this year.
Chris

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:52 pm

No expert either, but I agree with the previous post.  What good is 70 pound draw, when you cant hold it for more than ten seconds without shaking, and cant pull it back at all when it's below 45 degrees?  Also, as you practice, you will build muscles up that are used in shooting, and then you can turn up the weight a bit, if you want to.  If you increase your draw weight, you'll have to resight your bow because the arrows will fly faster, thus flatter.  Id's ay if your comfortable and accurate at 53, leave it there.

Practice shooting in situations where you are duplicating real shot conditions is always good too.

mag30079

Postby mag30079 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:56 pm

If your sighted in from your tree stand and hunt from a tree stand, leave it be. Just remember this when you shoot from the ground you will be a few inchs high on target. As far as the poundege goes, the Indians killed game with much less technology. I agree with the other posts.

Panman1949

Postby Panman1949 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:48 am

My suggestion for adding draw weight is to leave it alone for now and hunt.  After season is over, increase weight if you want and practice.  This gives you all off-season to play with your setup and figure out what works best for you.  I would also practice from the ground at varying ranges enough to know how to take an animal you may encounter going to stand.  Good luck, Panman
Be Aware, Bikes are Everywhere!!

Goose

Postby Goose » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:53 am

I agree with the other posts 53 is enough. Nuge shoots all of his game with 55 pounds and cant say enough about it. Shoot what is most comfortable and worry more about your form. Get and remember a system from the time you grab your bow to the time you release the string. I wouldnt think your arrows should impact any different at 17 ft than they do at the ground. Remember when your in a stand to bend at the waist and keep your form the same. You should have the same T form that you do when you are shooting level. Just bend at the waist and keep the same T form and everything should be the same. Good luck!
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

vipermann7

Postby vipermann7 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:14 am

I have to agree with what just about everyone else has to say. Your poundage is plenty for ethical shots. The key, as you already said, is shot placement. More poundage can help you get through some bone if you hit some, but you never want to hit heavy bone no matter what you shoot.

as for tree stand shooting, it is always good to be practiced and sighted in for how you will be hunting. i personally have no impact difference when shooting from a stand or the ground, or anywhere in between. you will want to practice shooting in any situation you might hunt in, like practicing from a stand or in a blind, but you probably wont have to worry about your sight being off. but everyone has their own experience with their own shooting and set up, so its just something you need to practice and see if you find a difference shooting at different heights or on the ground. They advertise those fancy range finders to compensate for height differences, but that stuff isn't generally an issue for most bow hunting situations, unless you hunt around steep inclines like in the mountains.

ScootD

Postby ScootD » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:45 am

I just wanna say thank you for all of the info you guys gave me it will be taken into consideration in this very fast approaching hunting season.

JPH

Postby JPH » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:59 am

You've already gotten great advice, but I'll toss mine in to add support to it.

Given typical and ethical hunting ranges, your sight pins should not move much from ground level - into the stand. I set my pins from my deck (about 4' off the ground) and then mess around from various positions. I do not re-adjust my sights and have no problem.

Secondly, your draw weight is fine where it is. A smooth easy draw is deadly.

One more bit of advice. Keep your shots in close. As a beginner, I would suggest nothing further than 20 yards. Even if that means passing on deer. Gain some experience and confidance on those deer who venture in close enough for close shots.

Good luck and welcome aboard!

Return to Archery and Bowhunting