Camo ????

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
DeerCamp

RE: Camo ????

Postby DeerCamp » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:27 pm

Well I just made up my mind on a jacket.... Im getting the Rivers West Ambush jacket HP2.  Im gonna get it in Real Tree AP.. It's taken me months to decied what jacket to get.. I hope this one will work out for me. I love to hunt the cold weather. Any one use/have this jacket? How's it for you?
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

JHBB

Postby JHBB » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:17 pm

I've always found that if we are using a pattern that is similar to the surroundings, it really doesn't matter who makes it.  When me and by brother first started hunting, he used to wear the basic army camo pattern coveralls.  We used to stand on the ground next to a large tree for cover.  In the early part of one season, I walked to 15 yards from him before I saw him.  He also had a nice buck walk 5 yards past him that never knew he was there, and this was in pretty open woods.  Realtree's patterns are still my favorite though.

Goose

Postby Goose » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:06 pm

I broke down last year and bought the dream season scentblocker suite and I am very happy with it. More than what I would like to spend or shouldve spent but it should last a long time as long as its kept up. But I will give it two thumbs up from me.ImageImage
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:21 pm

got  a little of everything
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:31 pm

ORIGINAL: Goose

Well what do you prefer Mossy Oak, realtree,or other and why?  I personally love mossy oak  new breakup I feel that the colors are just right for where I hunt all year round. The new Treestand looks cool but a little to light for me.

Uhh....COLORS? For DEER hunting? 

The colors that they put into designer camo is made not to fool deer, but to fool HUNTERS!

The ONLY thing that any camo has to do, is to:

1. Not be shiney.

2. Not be noisey.

3. Have a lot of CONTRAST, with contrasting colors (and with the exception of blue, those colors don't matter as deer can't see them like we do anyway), and large blocky and elongated shapes in the pattern to break up your outline.

The smaller and more mottled the pattern, the more it "blobs up" at ranges past 30 yards or so.

4. If you move around a lot, then whatever camo pattern you have is not going to help you much.

I have been as close to deer undetected while hunting in red and black wool plaids, as I have been in camo. In fact I can say the same thing about blaze orange. Blaze orange that is made from non-reflective fleece, that is.

In fact, on snow cover, blaze orange appears to deer as WHITE!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Goose

Postby Goose » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:46 pm

I understand that deer dont see colors and didnt mean they see the same spectrum we do, I was saying that where I hunt it is alot of conifers and some oak so they colors of my camo blend in well with the suroundings. The new treestand is rather light compare to new breakup and I feel that that would stand out in a coniferous tree nomatter what color the deer see. Itll be a light form in a dark canopy and movement will be picked up easier. The patterns on different camos can surely make a difference! Will every deer see you if your wearing the "wrong" pattern I doubt it but what about when you draw and he detects movement and starts a staredown I would much rather be in a pattern that blends in with my suroundings!
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

psefirex

Postby psefirex » Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:31 pm

[font=arial]whitewater!!! mossy oak!  all i have to say about this set of camo i have is that it is the best stuff in the world.  its not only quite and its breathable, light weight, and you can wear it all day..  i was sittin on the ground one day and a friend of mine was sittin @ 20ft in the tree about 25yds away from my spot. he could not see me even with bnocks, thats why i use that stuff[/font]

tjmeyers

Postby tjmeyers » Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:42 pm

I use Realtree AP for Archery deer and fal turkey season, Mossy Oak New Breakup for spring turkey. I find Mossy Oak just too dark for hunting out of a treestand.

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:40 pm

I used to use mainly mossyoak brand camo.  I now use realtree hardwoods, and advantage camo patterns. I feel the hardwoods suits my needs as a treestand hunter perfectly. I'd like to try the mossyoak brush camo for grounded hunting.  I did read somewhere (D&D hunting mag?) that deer vision hones in on darker shades of camoflage.  I don't like solid blaze orange, never did, never will, its great for safety, but its not a hunting camoflage. 
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

Previous

Return to General Discussions