This simple prusik knot could save your life!

Have you ever fallen? Share your story ... it might save someone else's life!
Redarrow

This simple prusik knot could save your life!

Postby Redarrow » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:36 pm

I use a lot of hang-on stands with screw-in steps.  However, they're still not fool proof, and the most dangerous aspect is climbing in and out untied.  This simple prusik knot solves the problem and only costs a couple of dollars per stand: http://www.animatedknots.com/prusik/index.php 

Simply tie the heavy main line at about the seat level of your stand and run it straight down between your steps.  Tie it off on the bottom step with very little slack and attach the prusik knot loop.  The loop gets tied to your harness or belt and you simply slide it up or down as you go.  Should you fall, the knot will grab the line to stop you short.

Remember, nobody has ever been killed from a treestand fall... it's the sudden collision with the ground and branches that causes problems. [:D]
[align=left] [/align]
Central Wisconsin Hunter

ilovetohunt

RE: This simple prusik knot could save your life!

Postby ilovetohunt » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:13 pm

I couldn't get that link to work however I did look up how to tie the prusik knot on youtube and I have to say that's a pretty clever idea. I've always wondered if there was a safer way to climb in and out of my stand because I, like you, hunt a lot of portables with screw in steps. I just might have to try this out!

Brian

Return to Tree Stands