Groundblind advice

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
Squirrelhawker

Groundblind advice

Postby Squirrelhawker » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:08 am

Hey folks. I recently lost my hunting lease at the last minute and I'm scrambling to get a plan together on some new and largely unknown territory. I will get some a stands up but I'm thinking of investing in a decent yet not too expensive groundblind in order to stay mobile if need be.

I would be real interested in any and all opinions on groundlblind styles and mfg's. Along those lines, have any used these chair blinds I've been seeing?

Thanks.

Squirrelhawker

mag30079

RE: Groundblind advice

Postby mag30079 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:00 am

I've got an Ameristep, I bought it because it was in expensive and I just pull it out of the bag and it pops right in to shape. Tear down is quick and very portable. My father in law uses the chair blind, he likes it. There both nice in the rain.
There's alot of good ones out there.

vipermann7

Postby vipermann7 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:08 am

i have an ameristep, i think its called the brickhouse. it was the least expensive one i found when i bought it last winter. i bought it on sale for 100 dollars, im not sure what that particular model is when it is not on sale. i turkey hunted in it, i havent had a chance to deer hunt in yet. but it worked great for turkey hunting, i love it. i had a different blind that i didnt like. the windows didnt zip down low enough, so i always had raise up off the seat just a little to shoot my bow out of it. it had the half circle shaped windows, looked like it would work good when i bought it, but i didnt like it at all. the one i have now has the horizontal slot style windows, like what the double bull blinds have. the other problem i had with my other blind is that it was too short and small around to shoot my bow out of well. perfect blind for gun hunting, but didnt work very well for bow hunting. so those are the things i would look for; make sure the windows are big enough, make sure it is tall enough to shoot a bow out of, and make sure it is big enough around to fit you when youre drawing a bow. ive never tried the chair blinds, i would guess they work great for gun hunting, not sure how they are bow hunting.

bckklr

Postby bckklr » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:23 am

AMERISTEP! as the others have said they are affordable & tuff this past turkey season we left one out over night in the bull lot ( a feild we keep 5/15 young bulls in before they are sold) & they wanted to play in our blind they strung pcs every place but after collecting all the parts from around the feild and literally pulling the blind out of 6" of mud that the bulls stomped it in to we had it back together & hunting in it in 20 min. not a tear anyplace in it that experience sold me on them nothin but AMERISTEP!!!!   but the bulls did ruin my camera tripod beyond belief
adapt & overcome

hoosierhuntercustomcalls.com

Panman1949

Postby Panman1949 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:42 pm

Would go to a store that have them set up for display if possible and grab a bow, chair, etc., and try them out.  I used one last year and had to hunt on my knees all day since it did not allow me to draw from a stool.  Also look for one with quiet material. Pan
Be Aware, Bikes are Everywhere!!

shadow

Postby shadow » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:02 pm

before you buy, try to be sure its comfortable, that you can sit and have enouigh room to pull a bow back without hitting the back or front of it and its large enough for another person (if you take anyone along.) Cabela's has the Ground Max, about $120.00 or so, easy setup, nice blind.

passin through

Postby passin through » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:27 pm

I just got the Primos Predator Den from Cabellas in today.....looks good so far.  Ive never really been able to comfortably draw in a ground blind but this one seems ok.....It's a variant of the Ground Max escape delux or the primos vision...all of them are the same blind just different camo and window config.  Mine was 129 at cabellas and the other two i mentioned are 149 and 199 respectively.  Bass Pro has the Vision on sale for 169 but you have to back order it.  These three are the biggest inside& best made blinds I know of.  I'll post again tommorrow to let you know how it shoots from....i put it up outside in the rain while ago to wash of some of the new scent...we'll place it friday but i want to sling a few from  it first.

Return to Archery and Bowhunting