New Deer Slayer

ranwin33

New Deer Slayer

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:26 pm

Purchased this handgun the week of Thanksgiving. Been wanting one for the last several years, and my wife, bless her heart noticed me looking one over at Cabelas and said, "if you have been wanting one for that long why dont you just go ahead and buy it." Well I did not get the one at Cabelas but I did purchase one from a local gunshop in one of the small towns nearby.

Shoots like a dream with minimal recoil. Even my daughter shoots it with no complaint.

Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter
.44 magnum

Now I just need to spend some time with it, maybe scope it, and get ready for deer season next year.
RSBH44.jpg
RSBH44.jpg (37.87 KiB) Viewed 2795 times
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

ranwin33

Re: New Deer Slayer

Postby ranwin33 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:07 pm

hunterwild wrote:That's a beautiful handgun. What kind of holsters you using for it?

Have not purchased a holster yet, looking for a shoulder rig of some sort. Something like this: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/s ... x?a=221814
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:44 pm

Will do. I will probably get it when they offer free shipping again.

Would you have any recommendations?
Aldo Leopold

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:00 am

Leather or nylon would be a preference. Not much more than $100.
Aldo Leopold

Bowtechian

Postby Bowtechian » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:02 pm

That is a sweet looking pistol. It will certainly look great in the holster you're looking at too.

I guess you're first decision will be if you are scoping it or not, and then what holster will work for you.

I also just purchased a deer pistol for next season. It's a Magnum Research Lone Eagle that shoots a 7mm-08 rifle bullet. I bought a nylon scoped bandolier holster for it for $30 through Cabela's. It might be a little rough inside for a nice finish on the gun like yours, so a leather holster in a similar style would be my advice. I saw some on the Midway USA website in leather, & they have reviews by previous buyers that may help with your decision.
Dave M.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:01 pm

Thanks for the tip, I'll check out Midway USA.

For the time being, I won't be scoping it. Althought that might change by next deer season.

How about a picture of your gun.
Aldo Leopold

Bowtechian

Postby Bowtechian » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:46 pm

It's a rear loading single shot that has a cocking lever near the front that sets the firing pin. You just rotate the breach 1/4 turn, load, and then rotate back. I put a Weaver Classic 2.5-8 power scope on it.
Attachments
7mm-08 pistol.jpg
7mm-08 pistol.jpg (46.02 KiB) Viewed 2658 times
Dave M.

wdgocards15

Postby wdgocards15 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:21 am

I have an old model super blackhawk myself. Its 44 years old, but man its by far my favorite hunting pistol. Want a smooth but powerful handgun that will easily take down a deer? Get a ruger .44

Return to Handguns