Indiana EHD Report

hunter480

Indiana EHD Report

Postby hunter480 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:42 am

[font=arial][left]EHD outbreak continues to spread[/left][/font][font=arial][left]An insect-borne virus linked to the deaths of white-tailed deer in nine southern[/left][left]Indiana counties is suspected to have spread to 32 additional counties, including[/left][left]five in the northern half of the state.[/left][left]The Southeast Cooperative Wildlife Disease Study (SCWDS) in Athens, Ga., has[/left][left]confirmed the presence of EHD (epizootic hemorrhagic disease) in deer found[/left][left]dead in Daviess, Dubois, Gibson, Jackson, Jefferson, Perry, Pike, Posey and[/left][left]Warrick counties.[/left][left]The SCWDS also has confirmed EHD in 14 other states.[/left][left]It is the second straight year Indiana has been hit with the disease, but this year's[/left][left]outbreak may turn out to be one of the most severe on record.[/left][left]"We've had some other big outbreaks, specifically last year, 10 years ago and 10[/left][left]years before that," said Jim Mitchell, DNR deer management biologist. "I think we[/left][left]have it in Indiana every year, but it is unusual to be this severe, particularly since[/left][left]we had it last year in central Indiana."[/left][left]So far, Clay is the only county affected again this year.[/left][left]The DNR is awaiting results from SCWDS on test samples collected in Cass,[/left][left]Clark, Clay, Henry, Martin, Monroe, Orange and Wayne counties.[/left][left]Other counties in which suspected EHD has been reported are Adams, Brown,[/left][left]Crawford, Dearborn, Delaware, Floyd, Franklin, Greene, Harrison, Jay, Jennings,[/left][left]Johnson, Knox, Lawrence, Madison, Morgan, Ohio, Ripley, Scott, Shelby,[/left][left]Spencer, Switzerland, Vanderburgh and Washington.[/left][left]The disease is transmitted by biting insects called midges. EHD is not[/left][left]transmitted to humans and is not normally found in domestic animals, which[/left][left]generally contract a related disease commonly called Blue Tongue instead.[/left][left]EHD poses no danger to humans from handling, processing or eating the meat of[/left][left]an exposed animal. Hunters should take normal precautions handling all deer. As[/left][left]always, deer meat should be thoroughly cooked to kill any bacteria present.[/left][left]This disease should not be confused with the unrelated brain disease in deer,[/left][left]Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD), which has never been found in Indiana.[/left][left]This year's EHD outbreak began earlier than other times in which the disease[/left][left]has been detected, and earlier than last fall's outbreak, which killed some westcentral[/left][left]Indiana deer. The current dry weather provides excellent reproductive[/left][left]conditions for the midge, which could result in significant deer mortality this fall in[/left][left]southern Indiana.[/left][left]The Indiana DNR does not expect significant deer mortality in the counties where[/left][left]EHD hit hard last fall (Clay, Hendricks, Montgomery, Park, Putnam, Sullivan),[/left][left]because of the residual immunity developed by the animals that survived.[/left][left]EHD causes severe, flulike symptoms, plus a high fever in deer, apparently[/left][left]causing those infected to seek open water to cool. Sick deer may lose their[/left][left]appetite, coordination and their fear of normal dangers. The animals become[/left][left]dehydrated and progressively weaker as the disease progresses, with mouth and[/left][left]eye tissue often showing a rosy or bluish color. A sick deer will be obvious to[/left][left]someone familiar with what a healthy deer looks like.[/left][left]People in affected areas are asked not to be alarmed by sick deer but to report[/left][left]them to their local district wildlife biologist or conservation officer.[/left][/font]

djohns13

RE: Indiana EHD Report

Postby djohns13 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:13 am

Great post Greg, hopefully it will not be a significant outbreak the remainder of this year.

I heard from some canoers that they came across several dead deer with no obvious injuries in or on the banks of Sugar Creek about a week ago.  It sounds like EHD to me.

Good shooting.
Darren Johnson
Internet Pro Staff Member - Indiana

Glad to talk to all of you, but I'd rather be sitting in a tree stand on a cool morning trying not to move so that the bruiser buck directly below me doesn't figure out that I am watching him!

Return to Indiana