Hunting with Dogs

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
tbone3

Hunting with Dogs

Postby tbone3 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:07 am

Ok fellas this has been a topic of many debates here in Virginia.  In Virginia it is legal to hunt deer with dogs.  But many people have tried to get it made illegal to do so.  Now I might catch some slack for this but I have hunted with dogs all my life and I really enjoy the sound of a full pack of dogs in hot pursuit of a deer.  Now I also love to get out there and hunt from the ground blind and the treestand just as much.  My only thing is that yes there are some hunters (well so called hunters) that will sit right beside someone's house and wait on the deer to run through the people's yard and then shoot it.  These are the hunters that give all the rest of us that enjoy the tradition of hunting with dogs in the state of Virginia a bad name.  I mean not all of us are that unethical in our hunting tactics.  But I wanted to post this topic to see what other people thought of the subject. 

Sailfish

RE: Hunting with Dogs

Postby Sailfish » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:28 am

"I mean not all of us are that unethical in our hunting tactics"

It's not very clear what you are saying.

Are you saying it is unethical for a person to hunt his or her own land and shoot a legal deer that someone may have chased onto his or her property?

Can you clarify?
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

mag30079

Postby mag30079 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:30 am

Tbones3

I know nothing about using dogs for hunting other then duck or birds. Can you explain how you use the dogs for deer hunting?

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:35 am

They run them essentially like running hogs.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

tbone3

Postby tbone3 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:56 am

Sailfish I am not saying that someone that is hunting there own land and shoots a deer that someone's dogs has ran on their land is unethical.  That person has the right to shot the deer if they want too I mean it is their own land.  I was refering to the hunters that will sit by the side of someone elses house and shoot the deer if it comes through the owners yard.  (Just an example: I am sitting beside a person's house on the side of the road and the dogs are coming my way running a deer, the deer comes out and runs through the person's yard, I shoot at the deer right beside their house.)  Their are hunters that hunt around here that have been known to do that.  I hope that my reply has clarified this for you.

tbone3

Postby tbone3 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:02 am

The whole idea mag30079 is to basically find a spot where you may think that a deer will be bedded down during the day.  You get a pack of dogs together and then people in the hunting club get on different stands throughout the hunting block.  You will turn the dogs loose, you will go through the woods hiking the dogs until they "jump" the deer (jump the deer means make the deer get out of their bed and run). The dogs will then chase the deer by using the deer's scent.  The dogs bark while they chase the deer letting you know where the deer is headed.  The hunter will then try to get in front of the deer and cut it off to where it is headed.  If all goes according to plan the hunter will shoot the deer.  Then the dogs are gotten back together and taken to a new spot and turned loose again and the process repeats itself.

deerhunter713

Postby deerhunter713 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:27 am

While your deer hunting-with-dogs tactics may be legal where you live, none of what has been described sounds ethical in any way.

bckklr

Postby bckklr » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:17 am

ethical & deer hunting with dogs do not belong in the same sentince together until you ad the UN in front of ethical
adapt & overcome

hoosierhuntercustomcalls.com

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:35 am

ORIGINAL: bckklr

ethical & deer hunting with dogs do not belong in the same sentince together until you ad the UN in front of ethical

So do you also then think that using beagles for rabbit hunting is unethical?

cbhunter

Postby cbhunter » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:46 am

Doesn't sound much different than groups driving deer. As long as your not chasing with vehicles, or hunting on property you don't have permission(dogs included) . It's not something I would want to do, but we've all got different ways of hunting.

Next

Return to General Discussions