Antler Illness

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
wifehuntingdwnhusban

RE: Antler Illness

Postby wifehuntingdwnhusban » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:09 am

In respones to all the lying that is taking place. If you were honest to your spose about hunting, that spouse MIGHT believe you in the other areas where lying is a problem. Hunting is just that...hunting..its not a matter of life or death..unless you depend on the meat.....which is the most expensive meat there is!! Do the math...it is alot more than beef!!  BTW..I think most are lying when scoring themselves on the quiz...they are not willing to admit how much hunting really means to them. THIS IS just my view..no need to attack it.  I do not give my husband grief over hunting . After 11 yrs of marriage, I have learned..the hard way...he is going to hunt no matter what. He claims he is lucky to have a wife like me...He has deer on the wall in the livingroom, several animals on the wall. I say he has a stressed wife who needs help with our family...not just with money, but being with your family should be top in a husbands life, not after hunting or a job. This is just my situation, although I know I am not alone.
wifehuntingdwnhusband

JPH

Postby JPH » Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:22 pm

ORIGINAL: wifehuntingdwnhusban

In respones to all the lying that is taking place. If you were honest to your spose about hunting, that spouse MIGHT believe you in the other areas where lying is a problem. Hunting is just that...hunting..its not a matter of life or death..unless you depend on the meat.....which is the most expensive meat there is!! Do the math...it is alot more than beef!!  BTW..I think most are lying when scoring themselves on the quiz...they are not willing to admit how much hunting really means to them. THIS IS just my view..no need to attack it.  I do not give my husband grief over hunting . After 11 yrs of marriage, I have learned..the hard way...he is going to hunt no matter what. He claims he is lucky to have a wife like me...He has deer on the wall in the livingroom, several animals on the wall. I say he has a stressed wife who needs help with our family...not just with money, but being with your family should be top in a husbands life, not after hunting or a job. This is just my situation, although I know I am not alone.

wifehuntingwnhusban, I am so sorry to hear of your situation. But you are wrong to project it on to the rest of us. We are not liars. I'd guess that you are saying that because you have been lied to, and it hurts less when you believe that "everyone does it".

Lying to your spouse is not normal. It is not a part of being a hunter. It is not a part of being a parent. It is wrong, and you deserve better. If you do not believe that you deserve better, than just look at your kids. If you do not love yourself enough to demand a good husband, I'll bet you love your kids enough to demand a good father.

I'll pray for your husband and I would suggest that you (and he) read up on the story of St. Hubert
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/07507a.htm . There is hope for even the most fanatical hunters. St. Hubert discovered that his vocation was to the priesthood. Your husband's vocation is clearly marrage. Be patient with him, but make shure that he come to understand his true calling.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:51 am

ORIGINAL: JPH
Lying to your spouse is not normal. It is not a part of being a hunter. It is not a part of being a parent. It is wrong, and you deserve better. If you do not believe that you deserve better, than just look at your kids. If you do not love yourself enough to demand a good husband, I'll bet you love your kids enough to demand a good father.

I could not agree more.  And as a husband who in the past did not always make the right choice, I will say this:  If you are loved and respected by your spouse, then they will treat you as the most important thing in their life.  Some times it takes a tough woman to get that through a man's thick skull - but the best women will try, and the best men will stick around and learn it.

fowler

Postby fowler » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:33 am

Last gun season I shot a nice 150 inch buck on monday. when I went down to retrive it wasnt there but had good blood. I shot this buck right next to a river and it had crossed it. seeing this I went home to get a light and someone to help, that was my biggest mistake. when me and my so called buddy crossed the river we jumped this nice buck so I decided to wait till i got off work to find it. I went home but my helper went to the local bar to tell his friends there was a big one hit in the swamp outside of town. That morning a group of five or six guys went and found my buck and cut the horns off. I didnt get off work until three and when i went out to get my monster eight all i found was the body. Where I hit the buck was little far back but definly fatal. I only took a day to find out who did this. I called these horn theives up but they lied about it. About a week after gun season i was eating fish down where this took place. This guy was  thanking the owner of the valley inn for letting them park there during gun season.  This land that they took the horns isnt the owner of the valley inns anyway. Its my relation. He went on to say that he had found a big buck dead. I called a few more times, all they did was give me the run around. ever since I have been killing nice bucks these same locals have been watching me. For example this one guy put a tree stand right next to my spot where i had killed a 150 inch nine point. Im not worried that this person will kill  a big one but his stand skylines the whole hog back. After telling the land owner I finnaly got permission to post it, well see if this works to keep these skillless hunters away.
killing big bucks the right way.

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:07 am

ORIGINAL: ranwin33

ORIGINAL: JPH

I could not agree more.  And as a husband who in the past did not always make the right choice, I will say this:  If you are loved and respected by your spouse, then they will treat you as the most important thing in their life.  Some times it takes a tough woman to get that through a man's thick skull - but the best women will try, and the best men will stick around and learn it.

Wow-you`ve captured the very essence of a real, loving relationship. I don`t know that I`ve ever seen it expressed better.

fowler

Postby fowler » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:02 am

ORIGINAL: fowler

Last gun season I shot a nice 150 inch buck on monday. when I went down to retrive it wasnt there but had good blood. I shot this buck right next to a river and it had crossed it. seeing this I went home to get a light and someone to help, that was my biggest mistake. when me and my so called buddy crossed the river we jumped this nice buck so I decided to wait till i got off work to find it. I went home but my helper went to the local bar to tell his friends there was a big one hit in the swamp outside of town. That morning a group of five or six guys went and found my buck and cut the horns off. I didnt get off work until three and when i went out to get my monster eight all i found was the body. Where I hit the buck was little far back but definly fatal. I only took a day to find out who did this. I called these horn theives up but they lied about it. About a week after gun season i was eating fish down where this took place. This guy was  thanking the owner of the valley inn for letting them park there during gun season.  This land that they took the horns isnt the owner of the valley inns anyway. Its my relation. He went on to say that he had found a big buck dead. I called a few more times, all they did was give me the run around. ever since I have been killing nice bucks these same locals have been watching me. For example this one guy put a tree stand right next to my spot where i had killed a 150 inch nine point. Im not worried that this person will kill  a big one but his stand skylines the whole hog back. After telling the land owner I finnaly got permission to post it, well see if this works to keep these skillless hunters away.

fowler

Postby fowler » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:35 am

The gun season of 07 went from great to the worst thing that could ever happen to a hunter.   After work I went to the land I had managed for eight years. I got to my look out point of the swamp at three,a forty foot rock bluff. Right went I got to my spot I jumped a 150 inch eight point with a doe. I didnt draw a forsure steady scope on him untile he was 250 yards away. I shot he went down. I waited for thrity mins to walk around and down the rock cliff overwatching the swamp. I was so pump about seeing the monster go down by the river.  I had harvested nice deer with my 7mm short mag and they dont go far.
     When I finally got to where the buck should have been down at, all I found was a big spot of blood.
The river was not three yards away so he ended up crossing the river to wash his wound.After seeing this I backed out to get a light and a so called friend. When we got to the river We jump him again.
I backed off right away because  he didnt leave the thick swamp. I went home and my tracking buddy went to the bar to tell about the big boy laying in the swamp.     The next morning while I was at work  no thanks to a bad boss, a group of six to eight guys  found my buck and just cut off the horns leaving the rest. It took me only a week to find  out who it was. 
  after finding out who did this by a very good source I called a few about my antlers, all they did was give me the run around. One guy said the found a sixteen inch eight point and led me to another guy. This guy said he knew nothing. This was the same guy I ran into on a friday night at a resteraunt right in back where the big buck had died. He was thanking the owner for letting him park there to deer hunt. The only problem is that the owner of the resteraunt dont own the land where the buck was. He went on to say that he had found a big 19 inch eight point. After this I just gave up on getting my horns back knowing that they where going to keep them for something. who in there right mind would ever put a buck a their wall that they didnt shoot.
   This year I finally got permision to post. This land was never public but soon after I killed a few nice bucks people try to find out where Im hunting. This one guy even put a stand not even 70 yards from where I shot a big 150 inch nine point with my bow in 06. It is so bad that I wont register a deer ten mile from where I hunt. Im not worried that a big buck will get killed they were really messing up my troupy hunting, for example that guy that put up that stand was skylining a whole hogsback. I just hope they get the picture with 20 no trapasing signs up for 08.

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:42 pm

Sounds fishy, like maybe your "buddy" led those guys to your deer? This is another reason why I won't wait all night to to retrieve my deer. I hope your the forgiving type, because if it was me I'd find a new "buddy" to track deer.  It's also sickening to find a healthy normal deer with just it's antlers or head cut off, that's a disgrace. Thier "antler illness" gives me a real illness just thinking about it! You can look at it this way, there will be another big buck down in the future, just learn from this, and move on with your adventures.                                                                                                          
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

fowler

Postby fowler » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:10 pm

Thanks for the reponse. Your right this wont be the last big horn Ill ever harvest. Not to go on
about the lost buck, but my EX friend is close relation to the party that took the antlers. I smelled a RAT right away and still do. Ill depend on myself to blood trail. a good hunting pal is hard to come by. 

I think its the same one I saw the first day of bow season. I didnt take the shot at 20 yards because there was a bigger one with him. that even makes it worse at least I would have appreciated this great buck. 
Have a great   hunting season. DF

FlDeerman

Postby FlDeerman » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:22 pm

Man Fowler with friends like that .....you know the rest.I hope you kept the rest of the deer.Antlers are hard to eat.After many years of hunting I tend to love the "fat"does,best eating.Good luck this season.

PreviousNext

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features