What affect will hurricane have on acorns?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
burnnurse1

RE: What affect will hurricane have on acorns?

Postby burnnurse1 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:26 pm

May have spoke to soon!!!  Looks like Ike may pay us a visit after all. Latest reports show him making landfall around Houston area then moving up east Texas and sideswiping NW Louisiana. From what I understand, the east side of a hurricane is not where you want to be [:@]. Oh well, there out to be plenty of moisture in the ground come planting time. Have to look on the bright side!!!

charger295

Postby charger295 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:00 pm

That sure is what they are tracking now.  I was hoping for further south around Mexico, but as you say they are predicting a sharp turn to the north.  And you're right, we'll be on the east side if it comes that way...which means a lot more water.  We don't need that in Ouachita parish now...still have flooding in some areas, and the river is rising close to a foot a day.  Not good!

passin through

Postby passin through » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:37 am

Well how'd yall make it?  Ike huffed and puffed up here but aside from power outages and such we made it ok. I did notice two things after this weekend....pecan pie is going to be expensive around my house because all my pecans are on the ground!  Also get out the thermacells!  The mosquitos in north Union parish are about as bad as I've seen them.  They're totin off cats, dogs and little kids every night![:D][:D][:D]

charger295

Postby charger295 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:50 pm

We made it through okay over here in Ouachita Parish.  Actually the worst winds and rain was Saturday night...I thought the storm was over by then. 
Still have to make one more trip to my lease when my son comes in first weekend of October to finish up some work...then it's out of there until season opens! 
Again, good luck to all of you this season.  Hope to see some pictures of some real bruisers you guys get to take.

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:12 pm

Glad to see you all made through Ike, I got a buddy in houston I haven't been able to get ahold of yet. We got some left overs from Ike all the way up here in Ohio, I was out in the woods last night and acorns, hickory nuts and walnuts were every where it was like walking on marbles, we had 70 mph winds, I hate to see what it was like down there where your all from.  I think acorns will be alright as long as they don't lay in water for extended periods of time.

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:32 pm

Well Hurricane Ike made up here through Missouri,St. Louis was hit pretty hard with lots of rain/flooding and high damaging winds.We had some high winds and several people were out of electricity for the past 2-3 days,we had lots of limbs broke off around the house and when I took a walk through the woods sunday evening we had several hickory nut tree's with broken tops and split branches,the persimmon tree's had a lot of broken branches because they were weighted down heavily with persimmons on them,I only saw a few acorn tree's with minor damage to them.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:29 am

I've been cleaning up the woods for a couple days now ...power was out for 15 hours and we'd pack frig and freezers with extra ice so all was OK.

lost the hay garage was blown up and folded up and in a tree....still need to fix it ..if I can and did get it out of tree....

The woods are a feeding feast because acorns ..hickorys...beech...ironwood...apples...pears...blkcherry lost their mast.....this will change things up a bit in Oct.....realized that acouple of the maple we lost were veneer trees so that is a $$$$ loss I don't like seeing...but hey we don't have anything to complain about considering what ppl in the south went through...bless them all

Previous

Return to General Discussions