what was the weirdest thing you ever saw in the woods

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
ibewman

what was the weirdest thing you ever saw in the woods

Postby ibewman » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:20 pm

just a question that poped in to my head. last year i saw 2 sets of eyes about 45 min be for day break but i was in the woods leaves were still on and it was a new moon.
i didnt climb to the top of the food chain to eat soy burgers

JOEL

RE: what was the weirdest thing you ever saw in the woods

Postby JOEL » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:32 pm

i didnt see it as much as hear it.last year i was dragging a buck out by myself well after dark.as i was walking i heard something following me off to my left in the woods.i was on a foot path under  the power lines .everytime i stopped ,it stopped .it scared the heck out of me .ya know how hard it is to drag a deer and keep an arrow knocked on your bow
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

shaman

Postby shaman » Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:15 am

I've been followed several times by coyotes.  I've had only a few that presented a shot, and I finally connected this spring:

That wasn't weird.  That was just fun.

Weird? back in 2000 I was up in my stand at sunset and I watched a herd of 5 doe come down into a creek bottom about 70 yards away from me and dance about on two legs and paw at the air. They also fought each other for the chance to rub their necks and flanks on a particular locust tree.  I got over there after they left, but could not find anything to suggest why they had picked that tree over others.

The Weirdest?  How about this:
[url=http://blackholecoffeehouse.blogspot.com/2004/08/whats-strangest-animal-ive-ever-seen.html]
What's the Strangest Animal I've ever seen?[/url]
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:04 am

One morning while bowhunting my favorite gully stand.....a tangled up small ball of rolling feathers dropped out of the sky...I nearly backed off my stand...it was two small birds wings straight out behind them and holding each others feet... fighting....mind you... some how...and don't ask ME!...they were like suspended for a moment a mere 4ft from my face...then up they went agian...they zipped up and down rolling and tumbling in the air through my woods until I lost sight of them......Now one looked like a tiny little owl and they other a tiny little hawk...I called the DEC and they confirmed by my discription that that is what they were...what are the chances of that....it was sooo neat.

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:41 pm

Ibew, Mabey the eyes belonged to the swamp booger? BF has been reported to have glowing eyes! lol                                                                                Neat story Shaman, last year I shot three yotes with my bow. One of the kills was while I was on the  ground walking to my stand.        I'd have to say the weirdest thing I have seen was when three or four turkeys stalked a ferrel cat pass my bowstand. Then the cat tried to lunge in and claw thier eyes a couple times, before walking away with the turks in tow.        I once saw a guy with a hole in his lip, from another hunter shooting a deer on the opposeing side. Blood and a piece of bone came out the otherside of the deer peirceing the hunters lip, to the point he could whistle with his mouth closed.  Just another reason why I don't like doing deer drives anymore!             
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

bckklr

Postby bckklr » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:10 am

just this past trky season i saw 8 buzzards & 2 black angus cows chasing a front shoulder wounded coyote the buzzards were flyin to it & runin to it takin bites off of it as it was runnin along & the cows were just chasin & stompin @ it & a couple bow seasons ago i saw a coyote after a fawn & the momma doe chasin the yote
adapt & overcome

hoosierhuntercustomcalls.com

mag30079

Postby mag30079 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:08 am

This past December I was out bow hunting, sitting at the base of a pine tree. I started dosing off watching a few hen turkeys feed on something. Just as I fell a sleep I heard a coyote howl. I kinda woke up, a split second later a hawk flew with in 4 feet of my head. I don't know who was more startled, the hawk or me. A few years back I was hunting in a hedge row and fell a sleep, I woke to feel something burrowing in my pocket. It was a chip munk, glad it wasn't a snake.

djohns13

Postby djohns13 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:26 am

Two years ago, my nephew shot a doe that made its way to within about 20 yards of my stand before dying.  About 5 minutes later, another doe came up, sniffed around her and then kicked her hard 3 times right on top of the head, I'm presuming to get her up.  After she didn't get up, the other doe started to walk away and stepped into my shooting lane.  It was a bad day for the deer, a good day for me and my nephew.

Good shooting.
Darren Johnson
Internet Pro Staff Member - Indiana

Glad to talk to all of you, but I'd rather be sitting in a tree stand on a cool morning trying not to move so that the bruiser buck directly below me doesn't figure out that I am watching him!

marshall9779

Postby marshall9779 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:47 am

I shot a button with my bow a few years ago. It was a spine shot and the deer dropped where it stood about 23 yds from my stand. Right after it dropped and was still kicking around some a fox came trotting up and saw what was going on and decided he didn't want any part of it and turned right back around and ran off.

Legnip

Postby Legnip » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:43 am

I've seen a lot of birds of prey in action.

Couple of years ago, I was watching a squirrel hop around. It was doing its thing when a hawk came from nowhere. It missed the squirrel, but landed at 5 yards. It suddenly took off and hit mid air with an owl that didn't like the competition.

Couple of years ago, I was watching a grouse in the tree. The hawk came flying through. The hawk and grouse did a spiral around the tree it was sitting in as the grouse got up to speed. Both of them flew off and I didn't see the result.

From those who much is given, much is expected

Next

Return to General Discussions