deer task force meetings

howhill1

deer task force meetings

Postby howhill1 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:35 pm

anybody planning to make any of the meetings on the propsed deer season changes?
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

howhill1

RE: deer task force meetings

Postby howhill1 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:45 pm

went to the meeting in bethany tonight. just  display of the same info on the website with the members of the task force and some cpo's on hand to answer questions and listen to input. the only solution i see these impending changes is to encourage everyone to be active in the control of the doe populations in their areas.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:15 am

Managing the doe population through self-imposed, increased harvest sounds like a good idea to me. I personaly don't want a "any weapon season" going into effect during the normal bowseason, like the DNR of NC., is proposing in thier state. If Iowa hunters can control their doe herd without state intervention, we should be able to do the same here. If we leave this matter to be dealt with on a state level, I'm afraid we are all going to be very sorry.
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:23 am

its comin. and im sorry to say , according the maps they had on hand last night your area is right smack in the middle. my primary spot in piatt shouldnt be affected but the ground i hunt in crawford is a hot zone.
it may be a couple years but i see the october thing happening.

Lot to Learn

Postby Lot to Learn » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:53 am

I really hate the idea of the October doe season.  I don't understand why they just don't sell unlimited doe tags over the counter for gun seasons in the effected counties. Give that a try before anything drastic. I have not seen the maps but I am sure I have to be in an over populated area.

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:07 am

ORIGINAL: Lot to Learn

I really hate the idea of the October doe season.  I don't understand why they just don't sell unlimited doe tags over the counter for gun seasons in the effected counties. Give that a try before anything drastic. I have not seen the maps but I am sure I have to be in an over populated area.
When I look at the alternatives over the counter firearm antler-less tags don't seem like a bad option.    I am just entertaining a thought here. Could opening a few holiday weekends to antlerless firearms hunting be another idea? The turnout would probley be fairly decent, and we may be able to avoid messing up our bow season.  

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:54 pm

something that always stuck in my craw was chargin hunters to help with probem deer hreds. we have several parks in our area tha have been open to hunting because of out of control heards. it costs you 25$ plus your tag to hunt these areas. more if you dont live in the same county as the park. how bout instead of charghing 15$ to kill a doe in these problem areas give an extra bonus antlerless with every tag bought. i also think the under 3 inches should be eliminated for archery to no visible antler. i also think that the stae truly has no idea how many deer are killed every year. do you think the closure of check stations and the decline in deer killed is a fluke? i say the deer are dying they just arent being checked in.

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:29 pm

I agree the antlerless tags should be alot easier to obtain. I wouldn't dought for a minute that deer are not being tagged.  The tags that are used, probley have multiable deer on them. I have noticed the CPO's are cracking down on this type of poaching finely. Losing the check stations was a major step down in herd management on a state-wide ,and local level. Something we will probley never get back, due to the amount of time it would take to convince the State we need the stations again. You just don't know what you have, until it's gone.[&o]

Lot to Learn

Postby Lot to Learn » Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:08 am

I really think the consensus was "do what you want" when they stopped check stations. If you process your own deer it is 99% impossilbe to get caught.

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:28 am

ORIGINAL: Lot to Learn

I really think the consensus was "do what you want" when they stopped check stations. If you process your own deer it is 99% impossilbe to get caught.
I've heard of people taking un-tagged deer to the processers, then tagging them later on, or not reporting at all. Some are tagging small bucks as doe's, which is rarely observed by CPO's. The Govener cuts down on state DNR funds, and in turn the officers can't do thier jobs efficently. The DNR regulates fish-markets, why should meat processers dealing with wildgame be any different?  I believe part of the problem could be solved with higher penalties, and fines for all involved with law breaking.                  Unless the courts start taking wildlife crimes seriously, the DNR isnt going to be able to stop the mis-management. Trusting hunters to abide by the laws is a great idea, but the people who can't be trusted are messing things up for the rest of us that are honest.   

Next

Return to Illinois