wow a freind has a problem

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
JPH

Re: wow a freind has a problem

Postby JPH » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:22 pm

Woods Walker wrote:......and don't forget deer the size of young moose too J'per!!!

Hey, wern't you just speaking out against hype?

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:27 pm

What hype? The old doe with the 2 older fawns she had with her along Rt. 30 east of Tama that I almost hit looked that big and more! Besides, that's not hpe, it's....um....POETIC LICENSE!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

JPH

Postby JPH » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:37 pm

All lies!

No big deer here. Nothing to see. Move along.

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:00 pm

Indiana allows landowners who are non-residents of Indiana to hunt without a license if their home state allows Indiana residents the same privilege (If they own land there)The only states that qualify are :
Iowa (small game only)
Virginia
North Carolina

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:01 pm

Indiana allows landowners who are non-residents of Indiana to hunt without a license if their home state allows Indiana residents the same privilege (If they own land there)The only states that qualify are :
Iowa (small game only)
Virginia
North Carolina

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:40 pm

I have always thought that that was the fair way to go. I think it's called reciprocity when one state treats your residents the way theirs are treated by your state. If Pa. charges Ohioans $100 for hunting deer in Pa, Ohio will charge Pa. residents (except Steeler fans) $100. Pretty simple, pretty fair.
*just kidding about the Steeler fans part.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

JPH

Postby JPH » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:43 pm

As a resident of Iowa and landowner of Missouri, I pray to go Missouri does not adopt reciprocity. I'd seriously have to consider selling.

scotman

Postby scotman » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:26 am

The resident issue and reasoning goes far beyond hunting licensing. Imagine if you owned land in "X" state and that was your place of residency. But you ran for political office in "Y" state as a non-resident owning a few acres of land. See the reason for official residency and non-residency? Simply put, you would not want to elect a non-resident to run your state, would you? I think not.

What comes to mind is why should non-resident land owners get a break just because they own land in my state? Especially when they aren't subject to the state sales tax that I pay year round for goods and services. No, I'm all for the non-resident hunting fee's imposed for land owners that live out of state.
"The deerskin rug on our study floor, the buck's head over the fireplace, what are these after all but the keys which have unlocked enchanted doors, and granted us not only health and vigor, but a fresh and fairer vision of existence" -Paul. Brandreth

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:12 am

JPH, why so adamantly against reciprocity?
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

JPH

Postby JPH » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:18 am

Ohio farms wrote:JPH, why so adamantly against reciprocity?

Purely selfish reasons.

Our Missouri lot is 75 miles from our home in Iowa. It is 5 miles south of the border. Due to my employment, I must maintain Iowa residency until I retire. Right now I pay $225 per tag as a non-resident for every season I hunt (spring turkey, archery deer and rifle deer). It is expensive, but at least it is over the counter.

If Missouri established reciprocity, I would be forced to apply for all my tags around the first of the year with money up front. I do not know the exact cost but I believe it is about $400 per tag. I would then have to wait months to find out if I had in fact drawn any tags in the lottery. I would be refunded all but $50 (I think) of my fee for each of the applications that did not get drawn.

Furthermore, the tags that I purchase every year in Missouri are pretty generous as far as bag limits. Spring turkey allows two bearded birds. Archery allows one antlerless deer, one antlered deer, and two any sex turkeys (which I never hunt in the fall). Rifle allows on any sex deer with $20 over the counter doe tags after that. Reciprocity would reduce my bag limits as a non-resident to one animal per season if I'm lucky (although I'm not sure about Iowa's allowance for non-res antlerless tags).

It would be a nightmare for me. I'd have three choices: become a poacher, sell the property, or turn it into a private campground and wildlife sanctuary.

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions