RE: anyone

Postby udrankwhat » Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:15 am

ORIGINAL: psefirex

Is there anyone from Texas?

Yes, and then some more.

psefirex

Postby psefirex » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:07 pm

well do you have any advice for myself to try out in the field? im open for any.

Buckman82

Postby Buckman82 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:12 am

Hey brother, I am from the great state of Texas..... Give me a holler.
Buck Commander.... "Just Good 'Ole Boys, Havin' too much fun".....

psefirex

Postby psefirex » Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:09 am

glad to hear your from the great state of texas. need some help with plubic land hunts, b/c as you know the leases are way to much year after year. so do you have any exp. with huntin pressured land? and if so, i would like to know where to begin.

HiddenHornsRanch

Postby HiddenHornsRanch » Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:37 pm

I may be able to help you out here. I hunt a hill country lease, some in south texas, and around my house which is the very pressured type of hunting your talking about. First and foremost is finding out how the deer move in the area your hunting, especially if their are small neighboring tracks around the area you are hunting. Mainly you would be looking if the deer live in the area or live on the neighbors land, of course you would use trail cams to do it. Next is to give them something or a reason to visit, frequent, or stay around the area your hunting. Food plots are great, but being its close to bow season in a couple of weeks, I would make a mock scrape, and place scent drags toward your stand. Other than that it can get very frustrating, especially with neighbors or others who disagree on what should be shot. Make sure to check the law where your hunting, because there are a good number of counties with the antler restrictions, which the county Im in is under. Hope this helps, and Good luck this season!
KINGSVILLE A&M JAVELINA

jerrybrown1949@sbcgl

Postby jerrybrown1949@sbcgl » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:49 am

The biggest trick in public land hunting in texas is to find a place on the WMA that is hard to get too.  Most public land hunters dont want to work too hard.  If you can look at the book and find a location on one of the type II areas that is kind of out of the way you may have some chance.
the old southpaw

BrinleeRanchHunts

Postby BrinleeRanchHunts » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:47 pm

I'm new to this site and am from west Texas. I haven't had a lot of experience hunting on public lands but I agree that you have to get away from the crowds & esp. do your homework. Look forward to conversing with you all.

Mac

Postby Mac » Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:13 pm

Advise for hunting public land... BTW I'm new on here as well.
What type of land are you hunting? Bow only, shotgun, rifle?
I've been hunting public land for years out at Lake Whitney and the best advise I can give you is to scout, scout, and scout some more.
I do my scouting after a good rain. It makes it very easy to see where the deer are moving due to the muddy prints. Also, I've hunted over rub lines a lot and have been pretty sucsessful, so if you can find a rub line, that would be your best bet at a buck.
Another piece of advise is to find a spot close to the access point!!! I've had to drag a big deer out of the woods from deep in and it's no fun at all!!!
I hope I've helped some, and good luck on the up coming season!

Bag a Big One!

Mac

Postby Mac » Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:26 pm

BTW, the idea about finding a place that's hard to get to, not to true. I use to think that way as well, and I can't tell you how many people that I've run into in the wood where I didn't believe anyone would go. That's another reason I said to find a place close to the check point. I guess in my case, it's hard not to run into someone here or there. The spot I hunt is 600 acres, 300 of it is extremely hard to get to and there are about 30 to 40 registered hunters on that piece. So i guess your' gonna run into some people no mater where you are, So another bit of advise is to try and hunt the rut..... Deer are unprdictable then and it really doesn't matter where you set up, you'll all get a chance at something.
Don't be afraid to shoot early either. Sometimes that's the only shot you'll get durring the season. I always try to shoot a doe early for some meat, and then I start looking for the "Bone-heads"

Next

Return to Texas