A Texan's Answer to Welfare

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
kellory

A Texan's Answer to Welfare

Postby kellory » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:42 pm

Everything I have read says this ran in the Waco Tribune Herald, Waco, TX nov. 18 2010 Put me in charge.........

Put me in charge of food stamps. I’ll get rid of Lone Star cards; no cash for Ding Dongs or Ho Ho’s, just money for 50-pound bags of rice and beans, blocks of cheese, and all the powdered milk you can haul away. If you want steak and frozen pizza, then get a job.

Put me in charge of Medicaid. The first thing I’d do is to get women Norplant birth control implants or tubal ligations. Then, we’ll test recipients for drugs, alcohol, and nicotine and document all tattoos and piercings. If you want to reproduce or use drugs, alcohol, smoke, or get tattoos and piercings, then get a job.

Put me in charge of government housing. Ever live in a military barracks? You will maintain our property in a clean and good state of repair. Your “home” will be subject to inspections anytime and possessions will be inventoried. If you want a plasma TV or Xbox 360, then get a job and your own place.

In addition, you will either present a check stub from a job each week or you will report to a “government” job. It may be cleaning the roadways of trash, painting and repairing public housing, whatever we find for you. We will sell your 22 inch rims and low profile tires and your blasting stereo and speakers and put that money toward the “common good.”

Before you write that I’ve violated someone’s rights, realize that all of the above are voluntary. If you want our money, accept our rules. Before you say that this would be “demeaning” and ruin their “self esteem,” consider that it wasn’t that long ago that taking someone else’s money for doing absolutely nothing was demeaning and lowered self esteem.

If we taxpayers are expected to pay for other people’s mistakes we should at least attempt to make them learn from their bad choices. The current system rewards them for continuing to make bad choices.

And finally, while you are on Government subsistence, you no longer can VOTE! Yes that is correct. For you to vote would be a conflict of interest. You will lose your voting privileges while you are receiving a Government welfare check. If you want to vote, then get a job!”
This works for me. ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

JPH

Re: A Texan's Answer to Welfare

Postby JPH » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:19 am

kellory wrote:And finally, while you are on Government subsistence, you no longer can VOTE! Yes that is correct. For you to vote would be a conflict of interest. You will lose your voting privileges while you are receiving a Government welfare check. If you want to vote, then get a job!”
This works for me. ;)

You lost me at forced birth control but I still have to ask. Does this apply to social security, unemployment, VA benefits farm subsidies, disability, or federal pensions? ,

Would you have taken my grandparents' vote away them? Gramp was a WWII paratrooper who worked as a printer his whole civilian life. He lost a finger in a press when he was about 60 and had to go off on disability. Gramma never worked. After Gramp lost the finger they had to move to subsidized housing where they befriended their neighbors and the local children. They lived on a fixed income and relied on medicare and the VA until they died.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:35 am

I don't think this would be aimed at social security, VA benefits, disability, or pensions... (as I understand them) these are thing a person could only be eligible for after having paid into them, worked long enough in their lives to earn them, served their country in order to earn them, or through some unfortunate turn of fate (your grandfather's finger, for example) that prevents them from continuuing to work.

As far as unemployment goes, I do believe that persons receiving these benefits should have to serve their community in some beneficial capacity.

As far as forced birth control and taking away voting rights... I can see the merits. I know of many people that can't afford to support another baby on their own, yet they do not take advantage of FREE birth control measures or even attemp to avoid pregnancy due to the fact that they'll get more money from the state if they have more children to support. And obviously people are going to vote for the guy who is more likely to extend their freebie and such. However, for other moral/ethical/whatever reasons I don't necessarily agree that this is right or just.

To me, it boils down to the idea that if you want the good things in life, you should have to do something to earn them. That's how I was raised. Your Grandparents most definitely earned every bit of help they received from the government. The majority of people that are simply a drain on our economy have not...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:58 am

I realize that many people are upset over those who take from the system and are undeserving for many of the obvious reasons. All those sound bites seem to sound great, but one has to be careful in making generalizations. Forced tubal ligations? But wait, it's not forced because if you don't want the tubal ligation, then you can' t have the benefit...your choice. To be the devil's advocate, why not force people to register their guns? But wait, it's not forced because if don't want to register your gun, then you can't have the gun...your choice. If you want the gun, then register it. But you say owning a gun is my right, well I would think that bearing children is your right too, isn't it? Don't get me wrong, I'm not for gun registration. I'm just saying there is slipery slope here that we have to careful with when we speak in sound bites.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:18 pm

I believe that some things are "intrinsically evil", or evil "solely by their object, independently of the intention that inspires them or the circumstances that surround them".

I believe that forced or even coerced birth control falls securely in that category. No matter what the motivation, it is evil. Once you begin to invite one evil into your public policy, others will surely follow. One does not need to look too deeply into history (or the present) to see examples of this. Things like the rant quoted above are good for getting people riled up, in a s**t kicking Texas kind of way, but they do nothing to correct the root causes of dependance and welfare. I know that makes me look like a hang-wringing liberal to some, but I think it is really just intellectual honesty.

Sorry to ruin your Tea Party....

285996.jpg
285996.jpg (19.91 KiB) Viewed 778 times

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:20 pm

I have no problem with taking care of Grampa and Grandma, and wounded disabled Vets . But I have a problem with allowing degenerate crackheads leech off the system. I know there are circumstances that should be evaluated, such as an uncontrollable chain of events that might cause someone, or a family to have to turn to welfare or food stamps. But, there should be a strict time table when the benefits are available under certain conditions such as a negative drug test, vocational rehab, and proof of job search. If you cannot provide the three I mentioned, then to bad.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:43 pm

I'm with you on the forced birth control thing JPH. While I can see the benefit of such a policy, that crosses the line to me as far as what is right and wrong. However, I do find it incredibly irresponsible of people to not consider the ramifications of their actions when it means bringing another person into this world without the means to provide for them.

Jslotter: ESPECIALLY drug tests!! including alcohol and cigarettes. I just want to puke when I see kids come to school without proper clothing and it's obvious they haven't had access to a working shower in who knows how long. They get free food here at school, but that's most likely the only regular food supply they'll experience. Then you see their parents at the gas station spending $50 on beer and cigarettes... Not that I don't enjoy a cold one from time to time, and I used to be a smoker, but it galls the crap out of me to know that the money being spent on things like that could very easily be put towards rent on a decent place or clothes or food for the kids... Not to mention that the source of the money being spent is your and my tax dollars...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:18 pm

I completely agree with the last three posts. We should help those in true need that want to help themselves, but due to circumstances are unable at his time in their lives. Rhetoric and slick generalizations I do have a problem with.
Last edited by Ohio farms on Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:44 pm

Agreed Ohio and Deebz. Don't get me started about children being the victims. :evil: . That is just pure selfishness. When it comes to jobs, there are temp. job services out there, and they will give you a job. Some people have this notion that there is no work and no one will hire them. I was unemployed for awhile myself. I went to the job center, got resume done by a professional for free, applied with a temp service, and now have a job. That is what those services are there for and some people won't put forth the effort to try. Drives me nuts.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

kellory

Postby kellory » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:15 pm

Gentlemen, remember, I did not write this
letter. Nor did I publish it, but I do agree with most of it. "Put me in charge of Medicaid. The first thing I’d do is to get women Norplant birth control implants or tubal ligations. Then, we’ll test recipients for drugs, alcohol, and nicotine and document all tattoos and piercings. If you want to reproduce or use drugs, alcohol, smoke, or get tattoos and piercings, then get a job." Not one of you picked up on the fact of a second choice. Everone jumped on Tubals and completely ignored the temporary birth control Norplant. What this mean is status quo. While you suck at the Government teat like a parisite, you may not INCREASE the size of your family. You can not pay for the one you have now. If you choice to increase the size of your family whitout any means to do so, then you are a fool. That could be concidered child endangerment. And no matter what, the children pay the price. JPH, I don't beleive ANYTHING can be good or evil without intent. A cross is just a cross without belief. That is the basis of faith. Ohio Farms, gun control? really? The fact is, you do not have a right to a gun. You were not born and gifted with a rattle, a blanky, and your oficial GUN! You have the right to bear arms, which can mean any weapon. sword, club, pike, musket. It says that Government can not decide to nuter you by taking away you weapons. Now, since we are government, (We the People) and we are footing the bill for those who claim they can not, then things such as drugs, alcohol, smokes, and body modifacations( which are NOT CHEAP) are not a possibility. If you have money for them, then you don't need ours. The thing about Wellfare, is it is NOT earned. JPH, your grandparents would not be effected. They earned what they recieved in help. And your Grandfather has my thanks for his service. Without knowing more about his injury, I could not say for sure, but could he not have run a phone service, or taxi, or receptionist? tear tickets at a theater, or show people to thier seats in a resteant, if he still wanted to work? A call center for the power company? Emergancy dispatcher for police, or fire dept? It may not have been in his field, but he could most likely worked if he wished to. There was a movement awhile back to make welfare recievers give back in some small way, in the form of cummunity service. Cleaning up the side of the roads, painting out gang signs, simple stuff. And I belive it was condemned as slavery, to require anything from those who had no choice. Our welfare system is parisitic, not symbiotic. There is no give and take. There is just take. What this gentleman wrote was in essance a contract stating I will help you, but this is your end of the deal, screw it up, and my help stops. :|
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Next

Return to Off Topic