Share Your Scent Control Routine

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
JPH

Share Your Scent Control Routine

Postby JPH » Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:41 am

Here's mine:

- I keep my hair trimmed close (all of it).
- I watch my diet and avoid garlic, etc.
- I shower with a scent free soap.
- I apply a scent-free, baking soda based D.O. to my armpits, feet and groin.
- I brush with a scent free, baking soda based toothpaste.
- I wash my clothes in a scent free, UV free detergent.
- I store said clothes in an air tight tote in the back of my pickup.
- I never stop for gas or snacks on the way to a hunt.
- I strip down and change clothes before heading to the stand.
- I wear a Scent-lok outer layer (pants, top, head cover, and gloves).
- I wear rubber boots.
- I watch the wind closely and never hunt against it.
- I spray a scent killer spray liberally on my skin, clothes and gear.
- I refresh my spray as I near my stand.
- I chew "gum-o-flage" on stand.
- I carry a pee bottle and pack it out before dumping it.

And I still get busted. [8|]

PrairieShadow

RE: Share Your Scent Control Routine

Postby PrairieShadow » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:10 pm

That is one heck of a routine and I commend you for being able to keep it as it would be/is easy to skip things

My routine consists of :

Scent free shower before heading to the stand
rubber boots
never getting gas when i have my hunting clothes along
clothes get a scent free wash as i see fit
I use scent killer like it is free
and the #1 thing is play the wind.

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:50 pm

i suppose ill start with the preparation of my gear. every thing gets washed and soaked with scent killer, boots, bow, stand, calls evrthing that can be is. i wash my clothing by first rinsing the washer with a load of water with scent free soap followed by two loads of baking soda and one plain water(overkill maybe). the only thing i put in the drier is my scent lok and it goes in only after i wash the interior with scent free soap and soak the inside with scent killer and the run it for about an hour on no heat to dry it out. then i wash the screen in the lint trap and soak it with scent killer. as for myself i start with a shower stepp out onto scent free towels and haveing them to dry with as well. i use scent free deodorantin .arm pits, chest, groin, both sides of my back behind my knees and the bottoms of my feet..i too use baking soda and peroxide for brushing and gargling. i then don a scent free sweat suit. my truck has a scent free sheet covering the seat. i dont get dressed in my hunting clothes until i get to where im parking. then with each layer i spray liberally with scent killer(i go through about a gallon a season). i top everything off with scent lok and rubber boots(soaked with scentkiller). my stand is keppt i a plastice bag and the inside of my bow case is always sparyed with scent killer. my bow and stand get a sprayin before i go out as well. i try to play the wind but tjat does'nt always work. ive had byt pretty good luck beating their noses but as jph stated ill still get caught from time to time. i look at this as part of the fun of the hunt . the challenge to outwit them.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:09 pm

I do most of what you guys do ...but don't have to worry about a vehicalGlad howhill mentioned spraying equipement I think thats over looked a bit.....I sray down my arrows as well....my boots are put on a boot dryer in basement every night after being sprayed downand sprayed again before hitting trail to stand...

JPH

Postby JPH » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:40 pm

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought most, non-carbon, scent killer type sprays work by counteracting bacteria. They can help with the scent left on gear by our skin oils and such. But not the smell of metal or rubber.

Does that sound right?

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:25 pm

1. I eat pretty much whatever I want. In fact, based on what is consumed at our deer camp, I'd say that deer sausage, rat-trap cheese, pickled peppers and beer does NOT scare them off! [:D]

2. I start taking chlorophyll tablets about two weeks before the season starts.

3. All of my outerwear is clean, and stored outside of the house in a sealable plastic tub, into which I put a cachet bag of semi-decayed hardwood leaf duff, so that everything in the tub smells like an October/November woods.

4. My hunting boots are just that...HUNTING boots. They are used for nothing else and don't get put on until I'm out of my truck and they get taken off before I get back in.

5. I bathe every morning with non-scented soap, use a non-scented deodorant and body powder, and if I come back to camp at noon and cook anything, I will wash what little hair I do have left and head before I go back out. Cooking odors STINK!!!

6. I try not to wear any cotton undergarments when I hunt (other than shorts).  Cotton hold moisture next to the skin, and in very little time you are a walking bacteria farm. I prefer wicking type fabriics that take moisture away from my skin.

I ground hunt, and as long as I play the wind, this method works for me.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:43 pm

ORIGINAL: JPH

Here's mine:

- I keep my hair trimmed close (all of it).
- I watch my diet and avoid garlic, etc.
- I shower with a scent free soap.
- I apply a scent-free, baking soda based D.O. to my armpits, feet and groin.
- I brush with a scent free, baking soda based toothpaste.
- I wash my clothes in a scent free, UV free detergent.
- I store said clothes in an air tight tote in the back of my pickup.
- I never stop for gas or snacks on the way to a hunt.
- I strip down and change clothes before heading to the stand.
- I wear a Scent-lok outer layer (pants, top, head cover, and gloves).
- I wear rubber boots.
- I watch the wind closely and never hunt against it.
- I spray a scent killer spray liberally on my skin, clothes and gear.
- I refresh my spray as I near my stand.
- I chew "gum-o-flage" on stand.
- I carry a pee bottle and pack it out before dumping it.

And I still get busted. [8|]
Ditto, with the exception of the gum, and I pin earth scent wafers on my clothes then store them in my scent lock bag. I'm thinking of ditching the p bottle this year, but its a hard habit to break.
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

JPH

Postby JPH » Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:41 am

ORIGINAL: EatDeer
I'm thinking of ditching the p bottle this year, but its a hard habit to break.

I've tried to loose it also. A lot of people have said that they never worry about their urine, but I just can't bring myself to take that risk.

I use a Gatoraid bottle, but I recently read that fighter pilots carry a heavy-duty ziplock bag with a small sponge inside. I might experiment with that.

Lot to Learn

Postby Lot to Learn » Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:45 am

Unless I missed it, I didn't see any of using the scented dryer sheets. I swear by these. Any of you try these, I put them in the bag with the clothes in the back of the truck also.  I was remodeling the house and I moved the laundry room, for a while I was just venting the dryer into panty hose so all the smells were in the house. These dryer sheets smell like dirt. The wife was really happy with me.

JPH

Postby JPH » Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:05 am

LTL, I assume that you are talking about a dryer sheet made specifically for hunters. Never heard of 'em.

Where would I find them?

Next

Return to Best Practices