A Texan's Answer to Welfare

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
JPH

Re: A Texan's Answer to Welfare

Postby JPH » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:45 pm

kellory wrote: JPH, I don't beleive ANYTHING can be good or evil without intent. A cross is just a cross without belief. That is the basis of faith.

It is not the basis of my faith. I'd say the cross is what it is, whether I choose to believe in it of not. What about the horrific experiments the Nazi's carried out on concentration camp prisoners? They were conducted in the name of science. The doctors that did these things had good intent. Was it not evil? How about the guys who crashed the planes on 9/11? They were acting out of devotion to Allah. Does their good intent erase the evil?

As far as my grandparents? It is fair game because I brought it up. He actually went through a series of failed reconstructive surgeries that left in so much pain that he was unable to work for several years. By the time they finally amputated his finger and ended the pain, he had reached the age of 65 and went on Social Security. I never asked him if he considered tearing tickets at a movie theater.

Oh and I know you did not write the original. I hope you know my criticism is leveled at the initial author. What you and I have is just respectful disagreement.

kellory

Postby kellory » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:09 pm

JPH wrote:
kellory wrote: JPH, I don't beleive ANYTHING can be good or evil without intent. A cross is just a cross without belief. That is the basis of faith.

It is not the basis of my faith. I'd say the cross is what it is, whether I choose to believe in it of not. What about the horrific experiments the Nazi's carried out on concentration camp prisoners? They were conducted in the name of science. The doctors that did these things had good intent. Was it not evil? How about the guys who crashed the planes on 9/11? They were acting out of devotion to Allah. Does their good intent erase the evil?

As far as my grandparents? It is fair game because I brought it up. He actually went through a series of failed reconstructive surgeries that left in so much pain that he was unable to work for several years. By the time they finally amputated his finger and ended the pain, he had reached the age of 65 and went on Social Security. I never asked him if he considered tearing tickets at a movie theater.

Oh and I know you did not write the original. I hope you know my criticism is leveled at the initial author. What you and I have is just respectful disagreement.

A cross is just wood or metal unless you believe it is a cross and what it STANDS for. It is a symbol, of the faith, not the faith itself. (side note: can you explain Faith without belief? ) Nazi doctors had good intentions? Well, just for them alone, they claimed they were experimenting on animals, not people. The science is not evil, just used by evil men, for an evil purpose. Like the atom, it can be split to produce tremendous energy, for the greater good, or it can kill the greater number, depending on how it is used. It is not evil either. Is plague evil? We still have some under lock and key for rescearch into how it works, how it killed, and how to combat it and other like illnesses. Is plague evil? It killed millions, but it can't go to heven or hell. Can a flood be evil? There is no mind, and no intent, so though it does great harm, it can not be evil. The highjacker had every intention of causing great death and distruction, but were they evil? That depends on your point of view, victom or perpatrator. From our point of view it was greatly evil, but from thiers, it was god's will and thier assigned task. I really did not intend to get into religion, that truly is a slippery slope. As to your Grandfather's hand, I am sorry for the pain and the loss he endured. I wish it were otherwise. He served his time, and his country, and I have no problem carrying him to an early retirement. I would say he earned it. The problem lies with carrying all the ones who refuse to work, hang out on the porch and drink (it qualifies for SS as a disability) using food stamps to buy steaks, and ice cream, frozen pizzas, they are eating much better than I am! using resorces intended for those in need, but being squandered by EVERYONE WHO QUALIFIES! If you are driving a corvette, ...you don't need foodstamps. Just because you qualify for welfare, does not mean you shoud ride that train for the rest of your life. It is not a right, not a gift, it is a concession to the weak. It is for those who can not stand on thier own. It is not, nor was it ever intended to be a way of life. :|
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:56 pm

We're at the point where further arguments on the topic(s) would be mere semantics. More often than not, when people do that they are really trying to convince themselves. I think you and I have both represented our respective views well, have comprehended the opposing arguments and remain immovable in our convictions. To go further would only inflame the situation needlessly.

I congratulate you for accepting a challenge to your post without retreating from your central premise, yet maintaining a even and respectful tone. I appreciate your kindness regarding my deceased grandparents (whom I should have left out of this) when many would have taken cheap shots. A little class goes a long way. I respect that.

Make no mistake, I remain firm in my opinions, but I feel no need to further press the issue.

kellory

Postby kellory » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:16 pm

Then we part as friends, not opponants. As always, my respects as well. ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

kellory

Postby kellory » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:32 pm

So....you are anti-semantic :lol: ? You don't like jewish words?

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:43 pm

J'per: Should I tell him or will you? :mrgreen:
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Previous

Return to Off Topic