Assembly committee takes no action on ‘X-bow’ bill...

Dan Salmon

Assembly committee takes no action on ‘X-bow’ bill...

Postby Dan Salmon » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:26 pm

http://outdoornews.com/wisconsin/news/article_88874fbe-46ae-11e1-86ba-001871e3ce6c.html

Of note:

Ron Kulas, representing the Wisconsin Bowhunters Association, said that in 2011 regulations changed to allow the use of a bow and arrow during the gun deer season. This bill would add the use the use crossbows.

As for allowing full use of crossbows during the archery deer season, Kulas said several surveys and questions have gone to hunters in the past seven years, asking that question, "and every time the majority has said no."

Rep. Michelle Litjens, R-Oshkosh, asked Kulas if crossbows wouldn't make it easier for youths and women to enter into the archery deer season. Kulas didn't directly answer Litjens' question, but said that currently in Wisconsin there is no impediment for hunters to hunt small game and deer.

Go figure, a true politician, just keep repeating what you want people to believe.

eberhaar863828

Re: Assembly committee takes no action on ‘X-bow’ bill...

Postby eberhaar863828 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:01 pm

Do you expect anything different? BTH WI Outdoor News is a great paper!
Ducks

retch sweeny

Postby retch sweeny » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:44 am

Actually in true WON fashion, they got it wrong. I don’t expect you to believe so I have included the link to the video of the testimony as well as the transcript. Also, the story says that the chair read the names of 29 people that registered in support of the bill, it was actually 39 people and orgs in favor and only 2 people opposed. The level of support was huge.

This will help you understand the truth vs the WON version they want to sell.

http://www.wiseye.org/Programming/Video ... spx?cm=204

01.18.12 | Assembly Committee on Natural Resources (Part 1 of 2)

12:15 of the testimony.

(Rep. Litjens)

“Thank you so much got your testimony today. I have a question [my husband is a bowhunter] And he concurs with your synopsis of not allowing crossbow during the archery season but have you seen crossbows perhaps as an entry to bowhunting [the manual bowhunting ] Do you see people crossing over if we were to encourage this during the regular hunting seasons in the state of Wisconsin where it might increase the number of archers in the state?”

(Ron Kulas)

"Right now there is no impediment………………… I guess you’re talking about youth when you’re talking about recruitment?”

(Rep. Litjens)

“Youth and women”

(Ron Kulas)

“OK, Right now there is no impediment in the state of Wisconsin to hunting. Wisconsin has small game, turkey, bear, deer………….. A wide variety of available hunting seasons and species to hunt. I don’t think there are women or children that are sitting on the couch going, “I would really like to take up hunting in the state of Wisconsin but there just isn’t a weapon for me yet. “

They’ve got a wide range of weapons and seasons available to them so I don’t think that the voice of the people that says “we don’t approve of crossbows in the archery deer season is an impediment to recruitment”

(end)

Sounds like a direct answer with some additional background to me and the answer is NO! She and the committee understood even if WON didnt. ;)

FYI Organizations supporting the bill at the hearing that day (others since have join in support)

WBH

The WI Bear hunters association

WI chapters of Safari Club International

Grant County sportsman’s alliance

Game Getters Sportsmen’s club

Dairyland cooperative

Coulee archers

Bigfoot archers Inc.

Wisconsin Wildlife Federation

as well as a several farming interests including

the pork producers association

the potato and vegetable growers association

The cranberry industry

Assembly Rep. Gary Tauchen

As well as State Senator Schultz.

Only one org registered in opposition and it was the Wisconsin crossbow club. The purpose for the hearing is to gauge public support or opposition for the bill in question. The level of support was pretty clear.

Also, WON had a huge number of people to interview in favor of the bill. They chose to do only one interview and it was with a guy who opposed thw bill. Go figure. :lol:

I need to thank Dan for bringing this up so the error in WON could be corrected. Thanks Dan. Its almost like your working for us. :lol:
Last edited by retch sweeny on Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:35 am, edited 4 times in total.

kellory

Postby kellory » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:08 am

....And the mice were hugely in favor of belling the cat with only the cat voting in oppisition...
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

retch sweeny

Postby retch sweeny » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:20 am

That’s the beauty of democracy and public hearings. Every member of the public has the opportunity to be heard and to attend said hearings. Rank and file bowhunters and orgs took the time to attend. It just so happens far more turned out in support of the bill than opposed. Just like the results of all the full inclusion questions asked in the last 7 years. The majority is opposed to full inclusion and likewise the majority is in favor of this bill.

If this bill had overwhelming opposition, the numbers and testimony would reflect that. Hunters from around the state showed up to give their opinion. Where is this huge segment of the population that wants crossbows in the archery deer season? The work-a-day folks that took time off of work to attend the hearing spoke up and were counted. The lack of pro-crossbow folks is very telling.

When you don’t have the backing of the majority of the public and you dont have the votes and its not going the way you would like. It is typical to decry the process or the system and to lament how your being wronged. The following replies that will appear here shortly will prove that over and over and over. Just watch. They wont want to talk about the bill, they will want to change the subject and invent scenarios and alternate realities that soothe their ach over the reality that they are in the minority. They will also want to lay blame and attack people. Trust me, I know this crowd. ;)

Dan and the other posters thus far are proving me right all the time. Thanks again Dan. Getting this cleared up was the right thing to do and your help is appreciated.

retch sweeny

Postby retch sweeny » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:10 am

Its been my experience that there are several people here that enter this arena of ideas sorely underprepared to engage. They arrive with their quiver of ideas, empty before they even begin. Fortune smiles on and favors the prepared, informed and involved. If your total level of involvement is the clickitty click of your keyboard on an internet chat room, you are already at a disadvantage. We have among us several that are prolific posters that pretend to care a great deal about this bill but couldn’t be bothered to show up for the hearing.

The originator of the “Gun hunters being kicked around by archery hunters” was nowhere to be found when the hearing rolled around. The originator of this thread (who admits he is not a bowhunter but wants a say in how the bow season is run and the rules governing it) was likewise missing.

Several of us “more motivated and engaged” people have been walking the halls of the capitol and went knocking on doors to talk to legislators the day of the hearing and continue to work with lawmakers on the bill all while the complainers can't seem to find their way to Madison but are eager to rush here to pontificate as if its something of substance when in fact, their words here have the same effect as if they were shouted into an empty bucket.

See you in Madison.................... Or not. ;)

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:55 pm

Yes, you are right the beauty of democracy is public hearings held only when the working class are at work supporting their families. Definitely a for the people by the people process. But when you're paid to go to public hearings, it's amazing that you can make it to them. Just saying... :D

retch sweeny

Postby retch sweeny » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:23 pm

Clearly you revel in being wrong or uninformed or both. Allow me to continue to educate you. I’m a volunteer. An uncompensated volunteer. I had to use vacation time to attend the hearing. I had to pay for gas and parking out of my own pocket. Attending the hearing cost me money and a day of vacation I could have used to go bowhunting this fall. Myself and others were willing to take off of work at our expense for something we care about. You and the others here, well…………………………………. Not so much.

Clickity click at the keyboard is all you can muster as you lament those that took time away from our jobs to attend. This is the process that we are all bound to. Half the battle is showing up and you cant even do that yet you purport to care a great deal.

And here you thought you had it all figured out, now you learned that once again you got it dead wrong. At least your consistant. :lol: :lol:

So yes, "just sayin" your wrong again. ;)

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:47 pm

Wow, model citizen. Good for you.

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:50 pm

You know, I'm humbled by your stewardship. I and everyone else here are but mere mortals in the presence of a god. Gag me...

Next

Return to Wisconsin