Hunting on someones eles land

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
DeerCamp

Hunting on someones eles land

Postby DeerCamp » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:41 pm

I live in Michigan, right in the city. I have found a farm that is about 5 mins away.This farm is right on the country/city line and can be hunted. I drive by this farm every night and I see TONS of deer. Im talking at least 100 every night. I have seen some monster deer in there. Including what Im thinking will be a 170"  12pt buck. This is the only farm in the area. After talking and hearing from several people the farmer only lets Drs and lawors hunt his property. The guys with the big bucks. I drove by it with my uncle who is a BIG deer hunter and he was amazed. He said he hadnt see anything like this before and he hunts a farm in Jackson. He said this is what you would see on tv...He even thought that this was better than a lot of the tv shows he's even seen. He was amazed. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on this kinda thing..Maybe in getting a yes to hunt it? Last time I went there I saw 4- 10pts, 7-8pts the big 12 and an 11pt a ton of little bucks and to top it out I saw a 10pt and 4pt fighting. It's amazing. You park on the side of the road and a bunch of people always stop and get out and watch the deer. LOL even a cop was there today watching them.I talked to him for a few mins, and he said it'd be cool to do a TV show out there. Right by the farm there is a log cabin house with a pond +52 acres but its 850,000. I cant afford that as much as Id like to I just cant, any tips anyone?
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

deerhunter713

RE: Hunting on someones eles land

Postby deerhunter713 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:30 am

Either become a doctor or lawyer so you can get in on this deal, or win the lottery so you can purchase the property you would like to purchase.

passin through

Postby passin through » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:25 am

Its simple if you're single!  Marry the farmers daughter![:D]

Other than that try to build a relationship I guess...strike up a friendship (if you know how, offering him some free farm labor or something along those lines always helps.)  I got lucky one time in TX like that....my company had a paid lease out there and one day I happened to notice the farmer (who was pushing 80) had a big John Deere 4430 tractor under his shed...I asked him if he minded me turning it over just to crank it, which brought about a ..."Are you crazy" look.  I explained that I grew up with a tractor just like that and learned how to drive on one and then my dad traded it off for a 4w drive version made by Ford.  He still thought I was nuts but the farmer let me turn it over and over the next few days I kept volunteering to do things with that tractor for him just to have the chance to drive one again.  (some people like cars I like big honkin tractors) I moved equipment around, baled 80 acres of hay ect ect.  I didn't do a whole lot of evening hunting that trip but the next year my company lost the lease (they went belly up when Katrina hit the Gulf coast) and I got a letter from the farmer to come on out and hunt anyway...no charge.  It was truly one of the most speacial hunts of my life...and was topped by killing my biggest deer ever... I wish you well in trying to get in on that farm!

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:40 am

Hey passin through I did marry the farmers daughter LOL lots of good deer and goose hunting for me and the kids now... SO let me say this marrying the farmers daughter works.. Boy can she cook to so not only do you get good land to hunt but she cooks the game for you also aww life is good.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:59 am

Do you know the farmer at all? if not try to find out what local coffee place he hits and go there some mornings to try and get a conversation going....are these Dr.'s and lawyers bow or gun hunters? perhaps he'd allow you to bow hunt...this won't turn out sounding right...but take your dad when you go...he'll be your best asset

Return to General Discussions