permission to recover wounded deer.

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
schlupis

permission to recover wounded deer.

Postby schlupis » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:28 pm

Here is a second part to the whole hunting property line post. Sounds like some dont like people to hunt property lines so here is my question to you????

If somebody is hunting the property line of yours and their property line or even if they are in the woods a little ways and they shoot a deer and it runs onto your property. The person stops tracking the deer and comes to your home or calls you up and asks permission to track a wounded deer on you property. Do you let them?

howhill1

RE: permission to recover wounded deer.

Postby howhill1 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:15 am

absolutely.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:22 am

Because I've nearly been shot 3 times now my family got me a cell phone...I have to carry it when hunting ...so I put my cell # on all my posted signs....as I stated in other post...call I'll help track ...gut...and drag....no call I'll arrest plain and simple ...I'm tired of being shot at on my land and I don't want to shoot any one wondering around where they shouldnt be...I've helped track and had neighbors help me track...by the way the ones that helped me always gets a Hickory Farms gift...or what they like once was a cheese cake 

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:36 am

Nice but whats the deal where you live that people are shooting at you is it intentional or accidental.

allthingshunting

Postby allthingshunting » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:40 am

i'm with msbadger, if i get a call, absolutely no problem.  I follow the same rules when the situation presents itself to me.  The only problem i have with this is when someone wounds a deer first thing opening day and then they want to talk right through my security / bedding cover the whole morning keeping deer off my land and sending them off guard running around the country for everyone else to shoot.

That being said, if you are inclined not to let someone on your property, think of how you would feel if it happened to you...

I once shot a really nice buck which ran a scant 20 yards downhill after the shot and crossed the creek (Property line) by about 50 yards.  At the shot, the neighbor came over the hill and saw my deer laying in the middle of the woods.  As i reached the creek and was about to cross to go talk to this guy, he yelled not to bother.  He informed me that i could not cross the creek for any reason.  There were some veiled threats as well (We all have to remember a deer simply isn't worth any potential harm).  I stood there and pled with this guy to let me have my deer, even went so far as to say it was my first deer (though it def. wasn't), "can't you have some compassion?" (I to this day don't even know how big / what it was - i know it was a 2+ old year deer, my goal on that farm, at least 8 points, though i think 10, and at least 19" wide).  After a half hour, I watched as he walked over the hill, got his 4 wheeler, loaded up my deer and drove away.  Why would someone ever want someone else's deer?  Did he go back to the barn and brag he shot it to his friends?  FRUSTRATING to say the least.

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:43 am

I have had friends have that same thing happen to them the person would not let them get their deer I think that is crappy.. I agree I would let the person retrieve their deer as long as I was with them.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:48 am

They stand on property line and shoot at any thing that moves on our land without looking...our daughter.... her first time hunting our land was nearly shot just one week after they cut a tree sapling in half 3ft from my shoulder.....the latest was a couple of years ago when they nearly shot me out of my 16ft tree stand at 7:10 am opening day....legal time was 7:30am that year...slug whistled past my left ear and hit a branch 5ft infront of me that snaped back and hit me as I was ducking and screaming...I believe that one was a ...I'm going to scare you..... shot that got closer than he figured...this from guys that shot and killed one of their own hunters several years ago...By the way our entire family hunts in orange from head to toe and gloves as well....

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:32 am

If they call me, I'll do anything to help them.

If they do not call me and I find them on my land, I will still help them. But I will be looking closely for signs that their story about shooting the deer on the other side of the fence is true. When we're done recovering the deer, I'll congratulate them, give them my cell number, and ask them to call in the future.

If they cross the fence to track a deer, after they have been given my number and instructions to use it...we've got a problem.

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:55 pm

If they call or even leave me a message I'd be more than happy to let them track a wounded deer or help them find a wounded deer. 

I think most landowners are more than willing to let someone recover a deer on their property as long as they are contacted first.  I once helped a friend recover a deer that crossed 8 properties, a four lane highway and took two days of tracking, we took a cell phone, a plat map and a telephone book, we contacted every land owner and got permission from each one of them before crossing onto their property about half of them came out to help in the search.

Panman1949

Postby Panman1949 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:10 pm

Great idea...Looks like I just added 2 items to my truck.  Never thought about a phone book or plat map.  Usually just go to the house and ask.  Thanks, Panman
Be Aware, Bikes are Everywhere!!

Next

Return to General Discussions