What tactic...#2?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
JPH

What tactic...#2?

Postby JPH » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:42 am

It's mid-October and it is the second to last day of the early muzzleloader season. It is in the upper 50's with a steady S/SW breeze.

You have been hunting evenings on the edge of a long, irregular field of bean stubble. There is a thick timber along the west edge and a pasture along the east edge. All week, three big bucks have entered the field from the timber. But they have been arriving late and out of range. There are no suitable stand sites near their regular point of entry.

You are sitting in a ladder stand, in the NW corner of the field. Again, the wind is from the S/SW, so it is in your face as you watch the field.

Finaly, a big bodied buck enters the field from the timber, about 200 yards to the S/SW. He scans the field in a relaxed manner and truns away from you. In desperation, you gunt and then rattle at him. He looks casually over his shoulder, but continues to wander away. You consider the shot, but the wind and the distance keep your finger off the trigger.

Suddenly, a doe enters the field from the pasture side and walks steadily to the SW. The buck takes notice of her and follows her, at a steady walk, around the bend in the field and out of sight. There is 30 min. of shooting light remaining, and no other deer in the field. The wind is in your favor, and you have yet to see the other big bucks. tomorrow is the last day of the season.

What do you do?

passin through

RE: What tactic...#2?

Postby passin through » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:54 am

Gut says get down and hoof it!  When he went around the bend...whats the bend made of?  Is there any cover there you could slip through and get out on him?...Either that or get over to the northeast corner and slip down that pasture fence until you have an opportunity...maybe?  Who knows though...I would for sure get aggressive and try some sort of ground assault choosing the best way based on cover and wind.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:34 am

Who needs a stand? 

IF the bucks have come out every night through the timber, then wait until tomorrow and leave your stand in the tree.  Get on the ground, get along the edge of the timber and use a tree for cover near their entry point.  You've got a 100 yard reach with that muzzle loader which gives you a 200 yard effective range to either side, so you don't have to be that close to their entry anyway.

Sit still and wait.  Nothing wrong with hunting from the ground.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:04 am

wait till tomorrow
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:37 am

Sit out the last 30 mins. He may come back or another buck may enter. I would consider taking a ground blind and throwing it up in the area the big bucks have came in on.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

Panman1949

Postby Panman1949 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:16 pm

Get down and get those backstraps!!  Get some cover in those timbers and tag one tomorrow.  Pan
Be Aware, Bikes are Everywhere!!

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:54 pm

given the sparse cover in the direction the deer went and the shortage of legal shooting light i would sit tight and perhaps try to relocate a stand or blind further down the the timber edge. pray for a last day blessing.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

cbhunter

Postby cbhunter » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:06 pm

I'd be tempted to get down and go after him. Its possible the doe is close to coming in to heat and you might not see him again. However since there's two more big bucks around I'd sit the rest of night. Tomorrow I'd set up some kind of ground blind closer to where there coming out(according to the wind of course).

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:56 pm

I would be in range of the POE the following night. Whether it be laying prone in the field waiting or on the edge of the field. I would close the distance some how.

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:33 am

I would hunt from the ground the next day near where the bucks come into the field. if its late season they are going to come to feed and then its game over... I dont like to get down and going after the deer because if you do and the deer catches you now you may have screwed up the field for the last day of the season..

Next

Return to Best Practices