Looking for New Binoculars

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
pine valley

Looking for New Binoculars

Postby pine valley » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:45 pm

Hey Everyone,

I'm looking to buy some new binoculars this off-season. I'm trying to find the best ones for the money and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. I would only use them for hunting and I would like to try and stay under $300. So obviously no Swarovskis for me. Any help would be great! Thanks!
"The appointments can wait; that meeting can be rescheduled. So slow down, breathe deep. As the wind in the pines just reminded us, there's plenty of time." -Mossy Oak

Woods Walker

Re: Looking for New Binoculars

Postby Woods Walker » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:17 pm

This is my opinion.........

Wait and save until you can afford really good glass like Zeiss or Swavorskis. It will be cheaper in the long run, especially if you wind up buying a really good pair down the road after you've gone through 2 or more sets of cheaper glass. I went through several different pairs of low end glass for the first 10 years that I hunted. Then I bought a pair of Zeiss 10X40's in 1984 and that's the last pair of optics I will ever need. They are as perfect today as the day I got them 28 years later.

Good optics are expensive for a reason. Most hunting is done at the beginning and end of the day under low light conditions, and that's when good quality glass shows it worth. I also stillhunt most of the time, and my Zeiss are constantly strapped to my chest with a bino harness and I am constantly glassing cover with it. If you tried that with low end glass you'd have a migraine that could kill a moose by noon. Like I said, you get what you pay for.

I'd rather have a $300 bow or gun and $800 to $1000+ optics than vice versa.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:15 am

pine valley,
While I agree with Woods Walker on good optics, there are some decent binos out there to use while you save your pennies towards Zeiss & Swarovski. I have used Nikon Action Extreme 10 X 50's if I'm sitting in a shooting house overlooking a greenfield. They are excellent in low light but they're quite large and heavy if you're going to be on the move alot. They cost just under $200.00.
Most recently, I've been field testing a pair of Cabela's XTII 10 X 42's. They have become my "go to" binos for hunting and bird watching. They retail for about $389.00. I got mine last summer and have virtually retired my Nikons. The XTII's are extremely lightweight (under 23 ounces) and have the right eye dioper that locks in place. They also focus on close objects way better than any other binos I've ever used. They are made by Steiner.
And, even though I field tested these for Cabela's, I am not obligated to Cabela's in any way. In my opinion, they are the best affordably priced binoculars I've had the pleasure of using.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas- ... l+Products

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:01 am

I don't like glassing as much as WW does, its very tedious to me.
I will agree though I get VERY tired eyes using the bargain stuff.

I do want a better pair, but no way 700 or even 400 is gonna happen for me.I'd break them in 1 year without question.
Althouhg maybe a high-end pair would take the boring, tedious factor out for me and I'd enjoy using them. Hmmmmm
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

jonny5buck

Postby jonny5buck » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:18 am

I have a pair of ''bushnells'' 10x42..bino's with the bino strap.and have had 0 problems with em for the 6-7yrs i have owned and used them...They were well under 200 and worth every penny.Im super rough on equipment and these fit the bill for me........-definetely 10x42 is the minimum power for deer glassing....regardless of the brand you choose-good luck!

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:17 pm

jonny5buck wrote:........-definetely 10x42 is the minimum power for deer glassing....regardless of the brand you choose-good luck!

I have always wondered that.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:04 pm

I am a big fan of Leupold optics. They offer some good quality binoculars in your price range. I bought a pair of Leupold compact Gold Ring 10X in 1996 and haven't looked at another pair since. Their lifetime guarantee is nice to have even if you never need it.

A buddy of mine has some Steiner binoculars that are very sharp and were not nearly as expensive as Swarovski. Cheap binoculars are just that. If you need to spend a lot of time glassing, poor quality optics will give you a headache. You get what you pay for.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Buck Commander

Postby Buck Commander » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:26 pm

I feel the same way some other have. I'd suggest waiting until you CAN afford a good pair. You get more instant gratification by buying a cheaper pair sooner but in the long run, it's better to buy the best in this category. It can get expensive buying and selling over time. As weird as it might sound, you'll save more money buying a good, expensive pair now.

pine valley

Postby pine valley » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:39 pm

Thanks for the help everyone! I appreciate all of the tips. There are a couple Nikons and Leupolds that look pretty good.
"The appointments can wait; that meeting can be rescheduled. So slow down, breathe deep. As the wind in the pines just reminded us, there's plenty of time." -Mossy Oak

gregd548

Postby gregd548 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:28 pm

Used a pair of mid-priced Burris binocular for several years, along with an even lower priced Cabelas glass. This year I splurged and bought some Leupold 8x42 glass for deer hunting: the difference is astounding! I highly agree with others when they say to save longer so you can spend a little more on better glass. The difference between the $200 glass and $400 glass is amazing. As for those who say they'll only break them, I'll say what I say to my kids: they're a quality product, take better care of your stuff. I've carried binocs for many years in the woods, I hunt hard, and have never busted a set of binocs yet. Look through a set of cheap glass for an extended time and you WILL get a nasty headache; look through good glass for the same period, :D and all you'll get is amazement at how much more you can actually see.

Next

Return to General Discussions