500 S&W Rifle -VS- Shot Gun Slug for Deer Hunting

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
lov-it

500 S&W Rifle -VS- Shot Gun Slug for Deer Hunting

Postby lov-it » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:44 am

Shot Gun Slug –VS- 500 S&W Rifle

Which is the better Gun for Deer Hunting? What do you think?

Deebz

Re: 500 S&W Rifle -VS- Shot Gun Slug for Deer Hunting

Postby Deebz » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:07 pm

I'd have to say it depends on your situation... My slug gun gives me a range out to about 150 yards. I'm not familiar with the S&W 500 rifle, but I'm sure it can reach out a bit more than that... Some farms I hunt I could potentially have a shot at 300 yards across the cornfield, so I'd take the rifle for the extended range. Other farms are thick woods and timber where an open shot is more like 50-60 yards, I'd take the slug gun for the 1 oz slug and bigger hole.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

kellory

Re: 500 S&W Rifle -VS- Shot Gun Slug for Deer Hunting

Postby kellory » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:37 pm

My dad has a Savage 22/.410 over and under. A great small game gun, with a choice of use. by the flick of your thunb. Too bad you can't do the same with deer. A rifle on top with a slug gun below, and take the shot you need, when you need it. But you can't use a rifle in a shot gun state, nor a shot gun in a rifle state. I'd buy one if it were legal to use it. :(
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Return to Guns and Ammo