Well it's early

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
msbadger

Well it's early

Postby msbadger » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:25 pm

Buck must be out of velvet early because there isn't any season open other than squirrel and goose ...but it's 3:22 am and shots rang out ten mins. ago....yesterday I saw a deer along the road with no head...every year this area goes through this...no one ever caught.....5wks to go and I'll hear shots at least 3-4 times a wk....usually it starts at the end of Sept..

JPH

RE: Well it's early

Postby JPH » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:28 am

[:@][:@][:@]!

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:30 pm

contact your dnr have them put a buck decoy out like they use in wis maybe that will help them catch these pieces of garbage..

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:26 pm

I would be calling somone ASAP!![>:][>:]

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:37 am

You would think...but many many ppl around here have over the years to no avail...and the DEC officers that have cared are so discouraged...one Once said to us...we try but are so tired of going to these local town justices to being made to look like A$$es for doing our jobs ...because EVERYONE is related to some one in these small towns....He was right and you don't want to cross so -n-so's 2nd cuzin twice removed for you'll be royally s---wed...in court...highway Dept..... building inspector...tax assor... fire and ambulance.....ect..ect... 

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:26 am

Been there!

Yet another reason I believe that fighting poachers should be the number one hunting advocacy issue! We bitch and moan about APR's, crossbows, non-res fees, and a whole host of other issues, but poachers all to often make these things a moot point.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:28 am

ORIGINAL: JPH

Been there!

Yet another reason I believe that fighting poachers should be the number one hunting advocacy issue! We bitch and moan about APR's, crossbows, non-res fees, and a whole host of other issues, but poachers all to often make these things a moot point.

If the DNR or local law enforcement won't help, what suggestions might you have for fighting poachers?
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:40 am

ORIGINAL: ranwin33
If the DNR or local law enforcement won't help, what suggestions might you have for fighting poachers?

I dunno. I was just complaining and hoping someone else would actually work out the solution. [;)]

No, actually I think we should lobby lawmakers and call for stricter penaltys and more funding for enforcement. And as i have suggested in the past, I think that hunters should begin to form networks, much like neighborhood watch, in order to observe and report poachers.

Look at our area in Harrison Co. I have myself, the guys up the road and another group that is about two miles to the south. Add yourself and any responsable hunters you have around you. If each camp would offer to drive the raods with their cell phone and a note pad, one night during gun season, we could begin to slow down the poaching. Heck, even if we just began to stop by one another's places to check the gates and look around a bit, it might help. Throw in some signs and open a dialogue with the local LE and DNR, we've got a pretty good program.

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:46 am

I dont think the DNR or law enforcment are the problem I know that both are very much involved in the apprehention of poachers atleast here in wi DNR and le go after these people hard and investigate all complaints of poaching very well... All to often these officals do a ton of work only to have it thrown out in court by the judge. I think we need judges and DA to take the hunting violations more serious..

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:35 am

I'd call the DNR again, and tell them you want a officer from another area to investigate the poachings.  Explain to the DNR that you believe personal friendships may be getting in the way of justice.  [:@]
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

Return to General Discussions