IL.-Where's everyone from?

11.point

IL.-Where's everyone from?

Postby 11.point » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:05 am

I'm from Wisconsin, but make it down to IL a couple of time a year and have hunted in Pike, Calhoun, Brown, Adams, Jackson and Vermillion counties.  I'll be back in Vermillion county again hunting with friends this fall.  May head down for the opener and then back in November.  Just woundering where everyone else is from.  I love bowhunting your great state, and to date I've shot 3 bucks and about 14 antlerless, largest was a 163" deer. 
Good luck come fall!

EatDeer

RE: Where's everyone from

Postby EatDeer » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:24 pm

Welcome to the forums, nice to meet you. I'm hunting southern Hancock county, a few miles from the Adams county line. Congradulations on the 163" buck, that is a heck of a buck no matter where your hunting. The number of doe's you harvested is equally impressive, if not more! How many years have you hunted IL. that is quite a few doe's?
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:48 pm

piatt county about 15 miles due east of decatur. born and raised
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

11.point

Postby 11.point » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:45 am

I've been hunting IL since 1995 or so, and have had a couple of years of shooting two does and a couple with none.  The property that I use to get permission on had a rule that I needed to shoot at least one doe per year, and if I didn't shoot a buck I would fill my either or tag on the last night with another one.  The farmers always loved that.  But to be honest since the tag prices went insane I've been only sooting one doe and then try and head back 2-3 times during the season to shoot a buck. 

This year I'm trying to get there on the opener, than back for six days early November, and if still nothing back in December.

That's my plan at least.

I have one doe down in Wisconsin on my first set and will shoot at least one or two more latter in the season when it cools down.

hyguti

Postby hyguti » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:45 pm

i hunt in jasper county about 30 minutes outside champaign. i bow hunted and gun hunted for about 8 years since im still young and started hunting when i was in 6 grade. i had tonz of luck cant wait till october 1 already hunting in wisconson love your state
Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game.

"My idea of fast food is a mallard."

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:23 pm

i hunt the late season in crawford county, just out side robinson. drive throught jasper on the way down there.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

hyguti

Postby hyguti » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:21 pm

i shot a nice 140 buck last year but their are some monsters their. i heard that the state record was broken right on the edge of japer. but i also hear it was a lie.
Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game.

"My idea of fast food is a mallard."

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:30 pm

there are definitly some monster deer down there.

bobow

Postby bobow » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:03 am

I am in Ogle County in the north central part of the state.  The area I hunt I walk to from the house.  It is a small wooded area with a creek and small feeder stream running thru it with beans and corn around it.

In the past it has been active with rubs & scraps, so I hope that holds true this year.

This is my first year bow hunting so I am looking forward to having more opportunities.  My goal is to get one or two does for the freezer.  After that, if something happens, so be it.

Lot to Learn

Postby Lot to Learn » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:46 am

welcome to bow hunting. Be in that tree when they are taking the corn out will certainly see some does.  I guess up north your corn may already be out. I heard they were already taking out as far south as bloomington but still pretty high moisture content.  The farm I am hunting is all beans this year and all the surrounding farms are corn. I cannot wait for the combines to start rolling.

Next

Return to Illinois