cedar planked seasoned salmon

Got good taste? Share it with our readers!
Ohio farms

cedar planked seasoned salmon

Postby Ohio farms » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:52 pm

I've been making this cedar planked king salmon on the grill for the last few months after catching 2 20+ pounders in Lake Ontario last September. Thought I would share the picture. If anyone is interested in the recipe, I'll write it out for you. It will melt in your mouth...really.
Attachments
IMG_0003.jpg
IMG_0003.jpg (70.51 KiB) Viewed 3755 times
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Ohio farms

Re: cedar planked seasoned salmon

Postby Ohio farms » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:27 am

Hunterwild, are you sure that you do not have a financial link with all of these web sites that you keep pushing? I know Deebz questioned you on it and you gave some lame reason. You are concerned that my grill needs to be replaced?? Really?? Where did that come from?
I looked back at your 52 posts and 32 of them have a link that sells a product...smells a lot like spam to me.
Last edited by Ohio farms on Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jonny5buck

Postby jonny5buck » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:44 am

@ohio farms- Im interested in the process for the salmon...looks like restaurant quality....Pm me with recipe or however you wish...

Im not lucky enough to be able to catch my own salmon but have baked and broiled some store bought before....I wonder how trout would be???--thanks .....great pic by the way...

Drhunter2k

Postby Drhunter2k » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:14 pm

Would really like to get the recipe from you. My oldest son is a huge Lake Michigan fisherman and brings home lots of salmon.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:36 pm

More than glad to share it. I usually serve it with crackers right on the plank.
You can buy the cedar planks at Lowe's in the outdoor grill section. Soak the plank in water for 5-6 hours prior to use.
Place the fish on the plank when you are ready to grill it. Brush it lightly with maple syrup then sprinkle the rub on top of the filet. This recipe for rub is more than you will need for one filet, so don't pack in on too much or the heat from the grill can make a mess when the brown sugar melts.I use a gas grill so that I can control the hear easier, but if you can do it on charcoal, that will work too.
Preheat the grill with the lid closed to 450 then place the plank in the center of the grill for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes I turn off the burners under the plank so that it finishes on indirect heat...about 20 minutes depending on the thickness of the filet. The temp should gradually drop to around 350 after you turn off half of the burners.
The important thing is soak the plank and control the heat so that it does not burn. It shouldn't if you keep an eye on it. The fish will flake with a fork when it's done.
I've done salmon from the store and it's great
Here is the rub mixture:
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. chili powder
1/8 tsp dry thyme
1/4 tsp dry rosemary
10 turns of fresh black pepper
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp dill
Don't forget the ice cold beer and let me know how you like it.

pickleguy

Postby pickleguy » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:47 pm

Looks awesome, I just copied the recipe & sent it home.
I get out on Lake MI once or so a year:)
�If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.It is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved

jonny5buck

Postby jonny5buck » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:08 pm

Well the verdict is in......Congrats to Ohio Farms!!!

I did the ''cedar plank salmon'' 2 different ways...#1 Ohio Farms recipe

#2 -food network recipe-wich involved dijon mustard and brown sugar.

I had a few people over and we sampled both...right off the plank with some crackers and white wine.

I almost had to fend people away from the Ohio farms recipe...i also added honey to the maple syrup.mmmmmmm- :mrgreen:

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:19 pm

I made 4 salmon fillets last night using Ohio farms' recipe. That is some good stuff. We had about a half of one fillet left over and I ate that cold this morning for brunch. I'm not sure it wasn't better cold than hot. I'll be doing this some more in the future. I had a couple of old cracked cedar 1 X 8's out in the barn from a bluebird house project from a couple of years ago. I just whacked a 15 inch long piece off the end of one plank and used it. I think I might cut it in half though. The board is so long that I have to soak it in a cooler. Cutting it in half would allow it to fit in the sink easier.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:19 am

As far as soaking planks I've found a deep sided cake pan or casserole dish works great. I haven't done anythink on planks, but we do kabobs from time to time. I like to soak my bamboo skewers for a couple hours before grilling to keep them from burning up.

in a pan you can set it aside and still use your sink to prep the rest of the meal.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:27 pm

Sorry that I never checked back to see how everyone liked the recipe. Glad to hear the positive responses.
I served it last Thanksgiving with crackers and it really drew a crowd.
Good eats.

Next

Return to Recipes