Looking for New Binoculars

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
gregd548

Re: Looking for New Binoculars

Postby gregd548 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:32 pm

Had to add: I just read an article where the author said: : If you have a $1000 rifle and put a $50 scope on it, you have a $50 rifle. If you have a $50 rifle & put a $1000 scope on it, you have a $1000 rifle". I think the same analogy applies to binocular purchases also.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:07 pm

gregd548 wrote:Used a pair of mid-priced Burris binocular for several years, along with an even lower priced Cabelas glass. This year I splurged and bought some Leupold 8x42 glass for deer hunting: the difference is astounding! I highly agree with others when they say to save longer so you can spend a little more on better glass. The difference between the $200 glass and $400 glass is amazing. As for those who say they'll only break them, I'll say what I say to my kids: they're a quality product, take better care of your stuff. I've carried binocs for many years in the woods, I hunt hard, and have never busted a set of binocs yet. Look through a set of cheap glass for an extended time and you WILL get a nasty headache; look through good glass for the same period, :D and all you'll get is amazement at how much more you can actually see.

And to add to your point greg, my Zeiss have been used hard for many years, and while I do try to take as good a care of them as I can, they have been dropped and banged around, and I've fallen on them several times. But this is another place where quality is a bargin, because they TOOK the abuse and are none the worse for it. They have rubber armor coating along with the superior optics and construction and believe me that makes a big difference.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

hrcarver

Postby hrcarver » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:40 pm

I like nikon monarchs for the price, I'd also stay with 8x because bigger usually equals shakier, not better.
http://bioplots.com/Mineral_supplement_deer.php
Premium Quality Mineral Supplements
Science. Not Shortcuts.

Sopchoppy

Postby Sopchoppy » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:45 pm

I have a pair of Cabelas 12x50 in camo that I caught for $100 off. Had 'em 2 years and they are outstanding. Very clear, sharp focus. For $229, it was a deal.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:53 pm

Whatever you choose to buy, just make sure that the diameter of the objective lens is at least 4X the magnification. Examples would be 7X35, 10X40, 8X32, etc. This will give you the most light gathering capability which is crucial for low light circumstances which account for many hunting situations. This will be espeically true if you go low end. A lot of the light gathering performance of binoculars is based on the lens coating. The cheaper the lens coating the less the performance will be.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

shorich761

Postby shorich761 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:24 am

I've been field testing a pair of Cabela's XTII 10 X 42's. They have become my "go to" binos for hunting and bird watching. They retail for about $389.00. I got mine last summer and have virtually retired my Nikons. The XTII's are extremely lightweight (under 23 ounces) and have the right eye dioper that locks in place. They also focus on close objects way better than any other binos I've ever used. They are made by Steiner.

gorich761

Postby gorich761 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:02 pm

Good optics are expensive for a reason. Most hunting is done at the beginning and end of the day under low light conditions, and that's when good quality glass shows it worth. I also stillhunt most of the time, and my Zeiss are constantly strapped to my chest with a bino harness and I am constantly glassing cover with it. If you tried that with low end glass you'd have a migraine that could kill a moose by noon. Like I said, you get what you pay for.

w4sar

Postby w4sar » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:50 am

I carry 8X binoculars from Eagle Optics. Decent glass and they come with a lifetime warranty. Mine stopped focusing after I dropped them and I sent them in for service. They diagnosed a cracked turret, replaced the whole outer case and had them back to me within a week at no charge other than my posting them. They've been working fine since.
David J. Snyder
Orange County, NC

richdevlin761

Postby richdevlin761 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:26 am

My Zeiss have been used hard for many years, and while I do try to take as good a care of them as I can, they have been dropped and banged around, and I've fallen on them several times. But this is another place where quality is a bargin, because they TOOK the abuse and are none the worse for it.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:03 pm

I narrowed my next pair down to the Nikon ATB 3 8x42

Just need to get them at the Dollar Store price :lol:
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions