ABC Sonic Broadheads

ranwin33

ABC Sonic Broadheads

Postby ranwin33 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:04 am

I shoot the 1 inch Sonic Pro broadhead. 

It's a love/hate relationship.

I've taken two deer, a ram, and a hog with these heads.  Complete pass throughs with huge entry and exit holes.  All animals died within 50 yards.  These are the most accurate broadheads I have ever shot - they fly exactly like my field points.  Love that!

But you do have to kind of look at them like a bullet - they are a one shot head.  You might get two out of them if you don't hit bone or they don't hit something solid after pass through, but otherwise the blades get pretty nicked and tips bent.  Hate that!

Other problem is finding replaceable blades for the 1 inch Sonic Pros.  They can be ordered from ABC, but after paying shipping it probably makes more sense to just buy new broadheads at the local store.

I once sent an e-mail to ABC basically stating the above.  Received a reply back requesting my phone number, sent that, but then never heard from anyone.  So customer service gets a "D" in my book.

My wife got me some Montec Strikers for my birthday.  I'll be trying them this year, they seem to fly like my field points.  I hope they do the same damage the Sonic Pros do.

“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

Goose

RE: ABC Sonic Broadheads

Postby Goose » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:47 pm

My cousin uses them and Ive been on 2 of his blood trails. Wasnt impressed didnt find either deer. Dont know were he hit em but there wasnt much for blood. Probably wasnt the head but it keeps me wondering. I have to go with the largest cutting dia. I can accuratly shoot. Itll help you on those not so perfect shots. My choice ; rage 2 blade.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:30 am

I tried the Rage heads, can't get them to fly like my fieldpoints. I'm probably the only one, but the fly low and left on me.

Do you get pass through with the Rage heads, seems like the large cutting area would make that difficult?
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:08 am

I have shot three deer with the Rage 2 blade and have had complete pass throughs on 2 of the 3 the buck no pass threw but it smashed threw the point of the front shoulder and lodged in the other. the head did all the damage it needed to kill the deer within sight. Major damage.  The two does I shot both pass threws. the doe I just shot I hit her in the point of the shoulder and the arrow passed threw both shoulders and stuck in the ground about 8 inches...

As long as the arrow penetrates to the other shoulder I dont worry about pass threws because once it has hit the other shoulder all the damage that needs to be done is done. The blood trail from just one entry hole of a rage is massive I think bigger than both holes made from a fixed blade. Everybody that helps me track a deer shot with the Rage switches because the blood trails are so big and easy to follow..

The exit hole on my doe was probably 6-8 inches long no joke the arrow went threw at a angle so the hole was huge...Wish I would have taken a pic of it but I will take a pic of the next deer I kill with the Rage.

Goose

Postby Goose » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:20 am

I agree with schlupis, Ive killed 4 deer with them and had complete passthroughs on them all. 2 were quartering away pretty hard and they kept a straight angle through the ribs (one cut 2 ribs) before they came out the other front leg. The pics i took of them changed a few peoples mind as well.  
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Return to Broadheads