turning broadheads

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
djohns13

RE: turning broadheads

Postby djohns13 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:05 am

Just my opinion, but with today's better built broadheads, I have never seen any accuracy improvement by aligning with the vanes.  I do use blazers though and the additional height may make the alignment issue irrelevant.

Another item that might help is that the heads I use are one piece injection molded so that alignment with the shaft is a moot point.

Good shooting.
Darren Johnson
Internet Pro Staff Member - Indiana

Glad to talk to all of you, but I'd rather be sitting in a tree stand on a cool morning trying not to move so that the bruiser buck directly below me doesn't figure out that I am watching him!

Goose

Postby Goose » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:09 am

yeah Ive heard the whole alignment thing and my buddy said it helped him alot with his thunderheads. how is it possible? Its not going to go through the same air as the the broadhead? what am I missing.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:43 pm

iknow alot of guys who say it helps. maybe it does for they're setup. im shooting  3 blade muzzy's with 2" blazers and have found it doesnt matter.
kinda like the old right helical left helical myth . ive shot both and can see no difference.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

mhouck06

Postby mhouck06 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:34 pm

like everyone stated before, if you do resort to heating your carbon arrows, it could damage them. they can be heated slightly, but probably not enough to do what you are looking for. i do not believe they have to be lined up with the fletchings, if that is what you are talking about. to truely get your bow tuned for a fixed blade broad head, the best way is by shooting a field tip, then a broad head. see where they hit. some people do not have to make any adjustments. if they are off though, the best way to do it, as ive learned over the years is to adjust your knocking point and your rest accordingly. you want to bring the arrows together. your bow should be sighted in with the field tip, so adjusting the sights is not called for. when you shoot your broad head, if it hits away from the arrow with the field tip, you must change the knocking point (up or down) and the rest (left or right) accordingly.

Previous

Return to Archery and Bowhunting