Help- Gut shot deer?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Goose

RE: Help- Gut shot deer?

Postby Goose » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:47 am

Congrats and you did the right thing exhausting all resources to try to find it!
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:10 pm

WTG on not giving up[;)]
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:50 pm

congratulations. im sure it means all the more knowing that you earned this deer. be proud your persaverance in the face of adversity is truly comendable. enjoy the bounty from your buck and cherish the knoweldge gained from the whole experience. every deer is a lesson to be learned. 
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

Panman1949

Postby Panman1949 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:41 pm

Congrats!  Glad it worked out for you. Panman
Be Aware, Bikes are Everywhere!!

bigwisconsinbucks

Postby bigwisconsinbucks » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:39 pm

This is him.  Got alot of pics of him in the velvet.  First bow buck.

Goose

Postby Goose » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:46 pm

Congrats again that is awesome!Youll never forget that deer it will always be your best trophy!
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:52 pm

Awesome! be proud.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:02 pm

ORIGINAL: bigwisconsinbucks

I found him!! I went back out with 1 of my buddies yesterday. We found his bed again and tried to find blood, but it had all washed away. We started walking through the thick briars, treetops, and all kinds of other brush. After following a trail for about 75-100 yards I found him. My buddy and I had to drag him up a big hill but we made it. It turned out I hit him higher than I had originally thought and I have come to believe he was quartering to a tad. I actually got 1 lung and the liver and the arrow exited towards the back and low. Also, the meat was still good because luckily it was cool yesterday. I'm so pumped! He's only a 1.5 year old 5 pointer, but for my first bow buck it's awesome. I also had numerous trail cam pictures of him. Thank you everyone for your input and help. We truly have a great community of hunters on here.

OUTSTANDING!!!!!  Good for you!  How about that feeling of elation that you had when you first found him? Is that awesome, or what?  Remember that, because that's a feeling that NO ONE ELSE but a hunter can experience!

Two things, my friend:

1. How long do you figure he was dead when you found him? I ask, because you did say that you hit the liver like I first thought, and that WILL kill them usually within 6 hours MAX.

2. A minor point, but it jumped out at me in your above post.....

"He's ONLY a 1.5 year old 5 pointer..." 

Please don't sell yourself, OR this fine game animal short. He is, in my mind, a GRAND trophy for you, because he's your first, AND you hung in there when many would have become discourged and quit, and you found him! I'll bet that you also LEARNED a lot from this fine buck and the drama that went with it. These are the lessons that one can only learn through trial and error, but they are also the best teacher the woods can offer.

May there be many more for you!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:09 pm

Congrats on a great first bow kill. You will remember that one forever! I recall mine like it was yesterday.

Goose

Postby Goose » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:17 pm

I agree with woodswalker on the 1.5 remark. Thats a great buck and dont think any different. Here in WI only 30% of archers harvest a deer. Getting a deer with the bow is a great accomplishment! We're all happy for you BWB.
Jake

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions