Doe population vs. Antler growth

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
schlupis

RE: Doe population vs. Antler growth

Postby schlupis » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:52 am

Ok fair enough I am up for anything that improves my chances of taking a bigger buck. I just dont think wisconsin is going to change the gun season anytime soon... Nor do I want them too its a tradition thing. But I think WI is heading in a good direction with E-A-B..

JPH

Postby JPH » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:02 am

Yeah, tradition can be a tough thing to overcome. Iowa's modern gun season has always been in December, so it's no big deal.

Missouri has gone with APRs and they have had good reviews, but they are kicking the idea of a later gun season as well.

From the photos and stories I see coming out of Wisconsin, your buck quality is second to none.

Oh by the way, GO HAWKS!

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:18 am

Buck quality is great here but that doesnt stop me from wanting to take one of those Iowa or Illinois bruisers...Some day it will happen for me just hope to capitalize on the oppurtunity.. Hopfully will be going to Iowa this spring for some scouting and try to make some farmer friends if you know what I mean.....

Badgers all day long, buddy!!!

JPH

Postby JPH » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:52 am

Don't kid yourself. Many of the IA bucks you see on TV are taken off of carefully managed private leases.

There is not exactly a B&C hiding behind every tree down here. I have been fortunate enough to connect on some good bucks, but I hunt on an awesome property and I benifit from professional management nearby. Not everyone is so lucky.

All that being said, I'd be happy to set up some contacts for a guy...if he were willing to post a video of himself singing the Iowa fight song or semething.

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:37 am

My state has hunting seasons during the rut, and still produces top end animals.  Besides isnt the rut still going on in DEC.,in an area over populated with doe's? I know I've seen bucks checking out estrus scents clear up to the last days of the season around here anyway. I would also think that the rigors of late winter would stress the bucks more with a hunting season during the coldest time of the year. They already are dealing with heavy snow cover,frozen ground, a limited food source, and weight loss, then you throw slugs and group hunts at them on top of it all. This is a time when they should be more worried about how they can be gaining wieght back from the rut, instead of where to hide from hunters. My beliefs are that a earlier gun season would put less stress on bucks. As for the topic, I know over populated doe herds effect the size of deer antlers, but also think the same effect could even be in a area where there is ample food sources for the herd to be at peak health. I'm adding this to my many reasons I believe in harvesting excess doe's and letting young bucks walk.  You never know keeping all those doe's to attract a few bucks during the rut, could be negatively affecting the size of antlers on those very same bucks. [;)]  
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

JPH

Postby JPH » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:48 am

No doubt, there is still some rutting behavior going on in Dec. But from my observations, which are clearly limited, it is not nearly as intense after mid-late Nov.

Additionaly, our general weather patterns do not usually bring harsh weather until later in the year. (1st Shotgun is 5 days, starting the first Sat. in Dec. 2nd shotgun is 9 days, starting on the second Sat. in Dec.) 2007-2008 was an exception.

As I have stated many times these issues should be decided on the local level. I'll only add this, you do not hear nearly the drama about APR's, EAB or season dates comming out of Iowa as you do her neighbors. We seem to have a very high level of satesfaction here. What drama we do have is more related to non-res. hunters wanting to get in.

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:28 pm

Dont think I know that fight song.. But the contacts would be nice....  I know about the carfully managed farms but I just would like to give another state a try have relatives that still live in Iowa but dont own their farms anymore.. My mom is from Iowa isnt that enough for you. LOL.  

JPH whats the last part of your post what drama from non-res do you have hope nothing to major... I know I wouldnt cause any problems lol....

If you were serious about the contacts I would like to speak more with you maybe by email let me know, maybe I could return the favor for you here in Wisconsin.

JPH

Postby JPH » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:30 am

ORIGINAL: schlupis

If you were serious about the contacts I would like to speak more with you maybe by email let me know, maybe I could return the favor for you here in Wisconsin.

I was serious about the fight song. [:D]

You are looking at 2009, right? Bow or gun?

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:45 am

Ok then I will study up on the fight song.

Looking for bow and prob 2010 have to get another pref point under my belt....

JPH

Postby JPH » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:40 am

Okay. I have to admit that keeping my own contacts open is always number one. But I'm also open to trade hunts.

If I am correct, the Thanksgiving antlerless season is a liberal non-resident draw. If i were to set up an IA bow hunt for someone, I'd like to have hunted with them first. Maybe an '09 doe hunt on the property that I hunt would be a good start.

Which brings us back to topic at hand. Recuce the doe herd for better bucks!

PreviousNext

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management