Decoys?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
whitacl

Decoys?

Postby whitacl » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:03 am

Do you use them?  Are they worth their weight?  Gimme what ya got!
Ohio BBH

Goose

RE: Decoys?

Postby Goose » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:33 am

Used them for the first time last year and got mixed results. Had a 1.5 with half a rack come to it and puff up and walk sideways ( thought it was kinda funny as the decoy is prob 100 inches) then had a nice shooter come out and he acted like he wanted nothing to do with it. Does really didnt spooke like I thought they would most would come up real slow and try smelling it. I will be trying it again this year but a little earlier. Gotta keep it scent free. I sprayed it like crazy with scent killer then put some dominent buck underneath it on the ground. Fun to watch the deers reaction and it nice to have another tool in the toolbox!
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

JPH

Postby JPH » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:05 am

This topic has come up before, so I apologize to anyone who has to sit through my take on decoys a second time.

I must first admit that I have only owned my Montana 2-D buck decoy for two seasons and have only hunted over it a hundful of times. That being said, I have had awesome results and am sold on them under the right conditions.

I only reccomed the use of a buck decoy b/c a new doe in the area can alert the herd, wheras a new buck is common during the rut.

I reccomed only using a decoy when you are serious about killing a big buck. I have seen them frighten small bucks and does.

I reccomend using them only when you can reasonably predict the location of the buck. I use mine on very thick field edges, where it would be hard for a buck to approach from my backside.

I would only use a buck decoy on a favorable wind.

If using a 2-D, I would place it in cover that hides the "flat sides".  

By using the above rules, I managed to kill my second biggest buck last season. I was only 12' in a tree and had to let my draw down twice before thumping him inside of 15 yds! He was transfixed.

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:03 am

I am up for trying a decoy I know guys who have used them in both the big woods and the edges of farm fields all having success in both places..I think it would be cool to kill a mature buck off a decoy.

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:29 pm

ive used a delta for the last few years and have had good results. i prefer to use it as a doe. i think that, like people, not all deer dominant or not are lookin to fight  but i think they all want to........well you know. i think the greatest advantage to a decoy is, like jph said, focusing the deers attention away from you. i also agree that does and smaller bucks can tend to be wary of them. 
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:12 am

With my limited decoying experience I'd say the are well worth giving a try. I use a 3D buck target, usually along a field edge, I can't believe how mature bucks will come in looking for a fight.  It was said earlier does seem to shy away, haven't had any really spook but they don't come up to it either.
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

Return to Best Practices