Used bows?

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
netexas

Used bows?

Postby netexas » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:15 am

I am very new to bow hunting and was wanting to get a bow for pretty cheap to see if I would enjoy it before I had sunk too much money into it.  I was wandering how everyone felt about buying used bows, and if there was anything in particular I should look for when looking at used bows.  If I should stay away from used bows then what do yall think is a good bow for a decent price.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

howhill1

RE: Used bows?

Postby howhill1 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:40 pm

if you can go to a pro shop that sells used bows or bows on consignment. check them over well for cracks in the limbs or eccentrics. check the condition of the string and harness's in relation to the age of the bow. this may indicate how the bow has been cared for. watch for sales you may be able to get a good new bow for a reasonable price.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:41 pm

You can usually find some good used Bows at most Archery Shops,don't over-pay too much on them because the re-sale is usually pretty low anyways.I saw several nice Bows for sale in our local Archery Shop completely equiped with quiver,sites and arrows and they should know how well kept the Bows are or what new parts have been replaced on them,it still wouldn't hurt to have them throughly checked out for any wear,cracks or bad strings.I have also seen several Bows in Pawn Shops too.  

peepsight

Postby peepsight » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:06 pm

I would check to see at some of the online bow stores for last year's models.  These would be new bows that would be heavily discounted.  Then check to see which bows come with a lifetime guarantee.  If you were able to buy an older bow, I think you would be happier with one of last year's models than one that has been used.  I think that would probably take a lot of the fear factor out of it for you.
        Additionally, buy the best sights, string release,  and arrow rest's that you can afford.  Even if you were interested in bow hunting again, you could pull these "accessories" off of the older bow, when you decide to update to a new bow.
        If you are dead set on acquiring someone else's bow, then check the local "buy, sell, trades", that are often filled with used sporting equipment, and these might include bows.  Also, do not be afraid to ask the guy if you can shoot what he has, just to get a feel for what you will be purchasing.  You might also get some decent arrows out of it, if he is moving and just needs the cash.  Then take that bow, if you decide to buy it, to a competent bow shop to have it gone over once, for new strings and an idea of what poundage it is set at. 
      Buying a used bow at a competent archery shop would be better, because then you should be able to find out if the guy abused it, and if the dealer feels that your purchase is a good one.  Most shops are very concerned about bad publicity, and so they won't sell you something that would reflect badly on them. 
      But realize that most bows that are warranted for a lifetime guarantee, are only sold as such to the original owner. So consider asking him to send it back to whomever made it for a tune up.  Offer to pay for the shipping, and that way, you butt is covered.

Hope that this helps.
             Peepsight 

peepsight

Postby peepsight » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:13 pm

I forgot t mention that some of the bows made by Cabela's are reasonably priced and would be a good star for someone that is not sure he will like the sport.  But in my humble opinion I think you will love it.  They range from $350.00 to $400.00  Don't be afraid to talk to guys in bow shops where you live, because we all have opinions, and can tell you first hand what worked for us, and what we eventually went up to in an upgrade.  for example, I don't know how anyone else feels, but I would personally stay away from mechanical broadheads, just because it is one less thing to go wrong while you ar out in the woods.  Don't get too wrapped around the axle with speed, and shoot a bunch of new ones, just for kicks, as you never know, maybe somone will have that same sort of bow, and want to upgrade to this year's best, or faster, and need to get rid of his old bow before that were going to be possible!!
         You never know.
               Peepsight.

vipermann7

Postby vipermann7 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:26 pm

i bought a used bow the first time i bought a bow. i didnt know anything about bows or what to look for in a bow, i happened to get lucky and it was a good bow. its luck of the draw getting something good used, but if you look for obvious things that may be wrong with it, you should be OK to get started. just make sure nothing is cracked or broken and that the strings are all in good shape. when you draw the bow back, try to look at the cams and see if they tilt to the side when its at full draw. they should still be straight in line with the string at full draw, they shouldnt be tilted to the side.
besides the over all condition of the bow, the most important thing is that it fits you good. if it doesnt fit you well and youre not comfortable shooting it, you wont have as enjoyable time getting into hunting and shooting. search articles online, most bowhunting magazines have websites that you can go to and read old articles. read some articles about how to buy a bow and how to check for draw length and all that, youll find some really good tips. one of the most important things is to get the draw length right. do not, under any circumstance, buy a bow that is not the correct draw length for you, you will have a horrible time shooting it no matter how good of condition it is in. if you can find a bow of the correct draw length and there isnt anything too terrible wrong with it functionally, you should have a good time shooting it for a couple years. by the time youre ready to buy another bow, you will have had a chance then to shoot and read more and be more prepared to spend a little more and get exactly what works best for you. its a lot of trial and error, and i'm glad i bought my first bow used so i had a chance to learn about shooting and bows before spending a lot on something new. good luck.

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:37 am

something else to consider is the deer and turkey shows if you have one in your area. i bought a new 97 high country at 98 show. saved about 200 bucks.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

netexas

Postby netexas » Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:32 am

I thank all of you for the advice.  I have been to my local archery shop and looked at a few bows, but I decided to wait and make a trip to Bass Pro Shops next weekend when I am off from work.  If I find something in my price range I will probably go ahead and buy new.  Thanks again for all of the advice and happy hunting.

Return to Archery and Bowhunting