Help- Gut shot deer?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
bigwisconsinbucks

RE: Help- Gut shot deer?

Postby bigwisconsinbucks » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:58 pm

Thanks for all the replys and helpful tips guys. I decided before the season that I would shoot a 1.5 year old buck with my bow to get the feel of it and to handle the pressure. We also started QDM on our land in the past few seasons and have started to see more mature bucks and a more balance herd. I have an easier time letting young bucks go since my first buck with a rifle was a 3.5 year old 9 point that grossed 130. That buck showed me what happens when you pass up the younger ones.
Kyle

Legnip

Postby Legnip » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:00 pm

Congrats on the buck. You'll always remember that one.
From those who much is given, much is expected

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:35 pm

ORIGINAL: bigwisconsinbucks

Thanks for all the replys and helpful tips guys. I decided before the season that I would shoot a 1.5 year old buck with my bow to get the feel of it and to handle the pressure. We also started QDM on our land in the past few seasons and have started to see more mature bucks and a more balance herd. I have an easier time letting young bucks go since my first buck with a rifle was a 3.5 year old 9 point that grossed 130. That buck showed me what happens when you pass up the younger ones.

Here's some words of advice from an old fart. Take it or leave it.....

While it's very commendable that you want to do the QDM thing, you DO NOT want to get yourself hung up and misdirected by antler scores this early in your hunting career. All this will do is set you up for a lot of disappointment, and discouragement.

What you obviously need, and the subject of this very thread illustrates it, is actual hands on, in the field, "moment of truth", EXPERIENCE, especially with the bow. The ONLY way to do this is by shooting A LOT of deer. You can't learn it watching hunting shows, reading books, or talking with us here. No one can give it to, you must earn it.

When I was a kid, I was taught the basics by the old timers, and for the first few seasons, was put on the primo stands and had them push deer to me. After that, I was on my own. If I really wanted to hunt that badly, then I'd do what I had to in order to "earn my spurs". I did. I also went deerless a lot, and when I did kill one I was thankful for it. I still am.

I've killed a lot of deer in my life of hunting the past 42 years, a few of which many of you here would give your eye-teeth for. But to this day, I consider ANY deer that I choose to kill with a BOW, a trophy.

If you're on good ground, then fine, be selective with the gun. But not with the bow. There's too much to learn, and too few years of your life to do it in.

Now go out and shoot another one!!!!  [:)]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

JPH

Postby JPH » Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:16 pm

I see where Woods Walker is coming from, but I see nothing wrong with setting standards for archery kills. In fact, my bow kills far "outrank" my gun deer.

I think the key is to set YOUR OWN standards, and not those set by a TV show, magazine article, or the guys up the road. Take your time, be realistic, and enjoy the ride. But there is nothing wrong with being choosy. 

Previous

Return to General Discussions