editorial.

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
howhill1

editorial.

Postby howhill1 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:18 pm

Dan this months editorial nailed it . the cool mornings weve had here lately the ocasional whiff of wood smoke literally makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck. cant wait for oct one.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

JOEL

RE: editorial.

Postby JOEL » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:46 pm

for me its the smell of "fresh earth"and the leaves[;)]
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

JPH

Postby JPH » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:20 pm

"That tingly feeling...the very insatnt my eyes spot that first drop of blood..."

I've never seen it expressed that way and I connected with it immediately.

IMO, most of the deer hunting magazines on the market are rags. The above is just another reason D&DH is above the rest.

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:55 pm

definitely! anyone can photo the 180" deer billy bob shot and recount his story but to capture the very essence of what we all hold so dear.......
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

vipermann7

Postby vipermann7 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:38 pm

im pretty jazzed up all summer waiting for hunting to start. but the first day im out hanging tree stands really does it for me. after months of no hunting, sitting in a tree stand again getting ready for fall doesnt compare to anything, aside from opening day.

djohns13

Postby djohns13 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:24 am

Well said by everyone.  This is a magical time of year.

By the way, D&DH is the best magazine out there by far.

Good shooting.
Darren Johnson
Internet Pro Staff Member - Indiana

Glad to talk to all of you, but I'd rather be sitting in a tree stand on a cool morning trying not to move so that the bruiser buck directly below me doesn't figure out that I am watching him!

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:43 am

Even though it is a little bit warm here in WI today, the cooler temps that we have been having have put me in a different mood that's for sure.  As was stated earlier, smelling the wood stoves going too really gets me going!  Getting ready and heading out to the woods here shortly for an evening hunt...Wish me luck!

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:00 pm

Cool mornings, and the smell of the woods.  You can tell when it's getting close.  Cant wait!

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:15 am

For me it's when I step out of the car and get that big woof in.. The smell is great, and it lasts the whole time.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

Jawbone

Postby Jawbone » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:57 pm

I distinctly remember seeing a buddy of mine at the local gas station on our first cool morning in September before the start of bow season.  We don't see each other often but when we do the conversation quickly turns to hunting as it did this morning.   As I was paying for my coffee and paper I saw him standing outside just observing the cold with a smile. 

Instantly, I knew our whole conversation without any words being spoken.
We were both back on the same spiritual playing field that only a hunter who has taken life with respect and honor could understand.  When we met outside I said, "it's gettin close!"  He replied, "it sure is!"

Now our first archery season is ending and gun season draws near.  As I open my rubbermaid full of blaze orange, I start getting that anxious feeling again.  But this season will surely be special as I bring a new member to Deer Camp this year, my seven year old son.  My hopes are that he too can join us on that same spiritual level where few words are spoken but whole stories are told.
Let em Go & Let em Grow !!!! (Jefferson Co. , WI.)

Next

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features