Share Your Scent Control Routine

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
JPH

RE: Share Your Scent Control Routine

Postby JPH » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:46 am

ORIGINAL: buckhunter21

ok i get it that we all put our clothes in a scent-proof container, and if we are driving, we don't change till we get to our location.  BUT, one question i have for you all.  what if it's freezing out, do you guys still change at your hunting site or do you do something different?  i'm interested to see the responses here.

I strip right down to the skin in all but the most extreem cold. But when its really bad, I wear my base layers, covered by a pair of nylon sweat pants and I cover my trck seats with plastic. I loose the seats and replace them with the outer layers when I get out of the truck.

shaman

Postby shaman » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:35 am

Although I agree with those who say hunt the wind, and you won't need anything else, here's what I do additionally to cheat:

1) I wash all my clothes in nothing but baking soda. Nothing. Ever. When I'm washing, I run the washer once with nothing but baking soda to clean out whatever stink has accumulated in the machine.
2) I wash the outer camo layer separate from the inner layers (underwear, etc.)
3) I air dry all my stuff-- almost always on a clothesline outside. Nothing ever sees the inside of a dryer.
4) I pack it all in a trash bag or plastic bin with a handful of baking soda thrown in. I do this sparingly, so there's not all that much to shake out. Inner and outer layers get packed separately.
5) When I'm hunting, I shower before going out with baking soda. I also use an unscented deodorant.
6) I hunt with an outer layer of camo that never sees the inside of the house.
7) When I'm done hunting, my clothes go back in a separate bag for dirty clothes.
8) I never hunt in the same clothes two days in a row.
9) In warm weather I change the outer layer between the morning and afternoon hunts.

When I'm meticulous in this method, I can be within 20 yards upwind of a whitetail deer, and they won't bust me. If I screw up and wear the same shirt two days in a row, I can be busted from 70 yards down wind or 20 yards upwind of my stand. The deer always let me know when I've screwed up.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

JPH

Postby JPH » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:47 am

ORIGINAL: shaman

I can be within 20 yards upwind of a whitetail deer, and they won't bust me. If I screw up and wear the same shirt two days in a row, I can be busted from 70 yards down wind or 20 yards upwind of my stand. The deer always let me know when I've screwed up.

There are times when I'd rather have a deer 20 yds. downwind, as opposed to 70 yds.

If the wind is stiff or if there is an upward thermal, scent can take a while to reach ground level.

I still think guys are kidding themselves if they think that they are undetectable. I think that my efforts make my scent stream narrower and less offensive, but it is still out there on the wind.

Goose

Postby Goose » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:36 am

In cold conditions its still everything but my boxers. Last year I was going out with snow on the ground and I use the top of my rubbermaid to change on and you can see where this is going! I get down to my boxers and all of a sudden the lid im standing on slips like a sled and im rolling in the snow in my boxers! My brother enjoyed that one!
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:14 am

I don't have to deal with the bitter cold you all have in Iowa and Wisconsin,  If it gets below 20 degrees here, we consider that pretty cold.  Cold or not, I strip down to my boxers and get in to my hunting clothes.

Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:55 am

I teach new hunters to think of their scent like a constantly broadcasted radio signal. There are things we can do to turn down the volume and scramble the signal, but we will never be able to totally turn it off.
The act of breathing produces human scent.

shaman

Postby shaman » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:05 am

ORIGINAL: Squirrelhawker

I teach new hunters to think of their scent like a constantly broadcasted radio signal. There are things we can do to turn down the volume and scramble the signal, but we will never be able to totally turn it off.

. . . unless you use my new invention.  Scent-flavored gum.

See, I've been reading this thread, and I figure some guys will just about try anything to be scent free.  Then it hit me:  scent-flavored gum.

Shaman's Own will allow the hunter the opportunity to broadcast a cover scent while breathing.  Each package will contain an assortment:

Grape
Apple
Pine
Fox Urine
Doe Urine
Skunk Urine

Yum.  I'm working on the particulars right now.  Best of all, I'm going to work up a Doe-in-Heat and a Big Buck Tarsal version as well.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:38 am

ORIGINAL: shaman

ORIGINAL: Squirrelhawker

. . . unless you use my new invention.  Scent-flavored gum.

See, I've been reading this thread, and I figure some guys will just about try anything to be scent free.  Then it hit me:  scent-flavored gum.

Shaman's Own will allow the hunter the opportunity to broadcast a cover scent while breathing.  Each package will contain an assortment:

Grape
Apple
Pine
Fox Urine
Doe Urine
Skunk Urine

Yum.  I'm working on the particulars right now.  Best of all, I'm going to work up a Doe-in-Heat and a Big Buck Tarsal version as well.

Sounds yummy...

JPH

Postby JPH » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:08 am

My breath usually smells like fox urine on the morning after St. Patrick's day.

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:48 am

mmmmmmmm
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

PreviousNext

Return to Best Practices