Big Buck Power Lift

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
marshmadness7

Big Buck Power Lift

Postby marshmadness7 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:26 am

Hey guys,
I am new to the forum, and I have a few questions about a product that I am designing for my Senior Capstone project at the University of North Dakota. It is called the Big Buck Power Lift. It is a hitch attachment for your truck that will load a deer using a 2000lb winch and a swing arm assembly. There are three main pieces that can be assembled easily in minutes. The winch will attach to the front of the truck bed and I was sure to design a bracket that could be easily attached and will not damage the truck bed under the load of the deer. The lift will be made out of 2”x2” square steel tubing so strength should not be an issue. Unlike most lifts or hoists out there this one will load the deer all the way into the truck bed, it is not a hoist that only lifts the deer up at the back of the vehicle. The price should be around $350. I am asking these following questions to be sure I have a variety of hunters input before creating a prototype. What would you pay for a lift such as this? How big of an issue is weight? Why would you choose this lift over the competing lifts and hoists? What are some improvements or accessories that you would like to see available with the lift? I have some designs created in AutoCAD that I will try to post aswell.
Thanks for your input!

jonny5buck

Re: Big Buck Power Lift

Postby jonny5buck » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:51 pm

Well i can't give you much input..because everyone i hunt with or know personally ,uses the hitch hauler, on the back of their trucks.

My dad is 60 + yrs old and up until a yr ago he used to still drag his in the truck bed by hand...until i convinced him to use the hitch hauler..it doesnt take much strength to simply drag your deer up and onto one of these...cost is about 50 bucks..and no blood to wash out of the truck bed.

That being said your proto-type might be more well suited to those with physical limitations or even handicapped persons...

I can tell you this...most deer hunters are $$$ pinchers...so cost will be the deciding factor...

I do know 2 hunters that have physical limitations one is paralyized from the waist down the other is handicapped im not sure how they load/unload the deer they get ,if you post a pic i might send it to them or this site for their input...Good luck...sincerely Jon~

kellory

Postby kellory » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:11 pm

Money is always tight. I recycle metals to finance my hunting and fishing. If I was designing this gadget, I would go compact and simple. The trailer hitch makes a good solid mount, and no one I know will care if it get scratched up. There is already a Hitch Hauler (don't know what name they call it)for raising or hanging a deer off the back of the truck. I would add an electric motor to the hitch winch powered off the trailer pigtail and an unlocking lever that allows the boom arm to swivel into the bed of the truck 180 degrees. from there, anyone should be able to load their deer. You are dealing with a few hundred pounds, not moving a car, so a small winch motor should do well.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

jonny5buck

Postby jonny5buck » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:17 pm

I agree with kellory....im 90% sure they already have the lifting mechanism that mounts to a 2'' reciever either ''Cabelas'' or BPS...

the pigtail to the trailer connector and a small winch w-be more ideal at least in theory than one mounted in the bed by the cab..

Me and kell only want our 10% off the profits if this goes all Hollywood.... :lol: :lol:

kellory

Postby kellory » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:02 pm

jonny5buck wrote:I agree with kellory....im 90% sure they already have the lifting mechanism that mounts to a 2'' reciever either ''Cabelas'' or BPS...

the pigtail to the trailer connector and a small winch w-be more ideal at least in theory than one mounted in the bed by the cab..

Me and kell only want our 10% off the profits if this goes all Hollywood.... :lol: :lol:

Works for me. :D I'd probably start with a seat adjuster motor or a wind shield wiper motor and run it through a gear box to gear it down. J5B, you heard Shaman wants me for a business partner too? It's in "Do you?" ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:12 pm

$350.00 is WAAAAY too much. I have a 2000 pound come-a-long hand winch from Farm and Fleet for a 10th of that price that does the same thing and which I've used for years. I could see if I had to use it daily or even weekly for other things, but not just for loading a deer once or twice as year.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

SwampLife

Postby SwampLife » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:55 am

From the name, I am guessing it will not work on small bucks?

Or is big buck in reference to the price tag?
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.

marshmadness7

Postby marshmadness7 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:25 pm

Alright I was definitely going overkill with this whole contraption and I'm glad you guys brought me back down to earth. I don't know what I was thinking putting a $350 price tag on this thing, I sure as hell wouldn't pay that. Anyways I like the idea of the smaller electric winch that runs off of the trailer light connection, so I am going to simplify the entire design and try to keep it all under $100. Would you guys rather have the hoist structure like you mentioned or a swing arm that would flip the deer back into the bed? I will use a fairly long cable so that the truck could be backed up to a treeline or field and the winch can be used to pull the deer in. Anything other suggestions?

Thanks for the input

kellory

Postby kellory » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:32 pm

If you are going for the long pull, stick to 5/32 or 3/16 cable. that will give you overkill on pull power, and still leave room on the bale. I would mount the winch to the hitch, and simply lift the cable over an large exposed pulley for the vertical lift. No side pressure on your post. And if you are going to use it for more than just loading, I would use one of the small winches made for ATVs or QuadRunners. Smaller, lighter, and more than enough for the job.

jonny5buck

Postby jonny5buck » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:19 am

Il be honest ''big buck power lift'' is a little decieving...i thought this thread was gonna show some guy doing squats with a 220 lb buck on his back...''power lifting''--- :lol:

Il leave you guys to the brainstorming..i have no more input-

Good luck-JON~

Return to Off Topic