Opening Weekend

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
buckhunter21

RE: Opening Weekend

Postby buckhunter21 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:39 am

I hunt in west-central WI.  We had our bow opener last weekend.  As prepared as I was, I never made it out due to the rain.  If this was mid to late October I would have been out there for sure but being the opener, and with the rain I figured they weren't going to be moving much.  Anyways, I've been itching all week to get out...Heading out tonight.  It's a bit warm (bout 80 degrees) but I'm going to take it easy on the way in as not to sweat too darn much.  Good luck to you all. 

Patriot, nice to see you back on the forum...Congrats on the buck!

psefirex

Postby psefirex » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:45 am

well texas openin day is saterday mornin @ sun up , and i will be in a nice pine tree, over looking a drop off of Gods green earth. everything is set for my self to be in that tree and sit all day to get a shoot a good size deer.  hope everyones year is great, and plentaful

marshall9779

Postby marshall9779 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:13 am

Should have gotten a doe on Friday 9/19. It was my first day out. I was hunting the McKee-Beshers WMA in MD. I went to the first stand tree I had picked out over there. It is on the inside corner of a clear cut where two trails converge. It is in one of the bigger blocks of timber and should be a good bedding and travel corridor. It was a long hike in carrying a stand and pack and with it not very cool yet I was sweating like a pig by the time I got to my tree. I got up in the tree and got settled about 45 min before first light. At about 7:05 a doe and two fawns came out of some brush on the other side of the clear cut. They milled around and finally the doe started coming in the woods angling away from me a little. I drew back on her but she stayed behind some small saplings and never gave me a shot. They milled around about 20 -25 yds behind me but in a bunch of think stuff. They never came back out. I settled back down and about an hour went by. I pulled out my range finder and was ranging some trees and stuff to get my yardage bearings. I heard a small snap and look over and 4 does were coming in right underneath me. I had no chance to reach for my bow as they wer coming straight at me and were only about 6yds from the base of the tree when I saw them. It was really thick were they came out of. They looked up at me a few times but kept about their business. I was about 20ft up. Guess I need to go higher. The matriarch must have gotten my scent a couple times but just took a bound or two and then stuck around. She did that twice and then the third time she decided she had had enough and moved off and the other three followed. Neither of them stomped or snorted so they weren't too worried about me.I can't belive I blew that opportunity. Let this be a lesson, when in some thick cover, always have your eyes on the swivel looking for any part that might be a deer. It was an exciting morning, but it could have been better.

oneshot 1

Postby oneshot 1 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:12 pm

I killed a nice Doe last Thursday here in Missouri.

http://www.missouri-whitetails.com/data/500/000_1883do.jpg

oneshot

Previous

Return to General Discussions